Re: An owl displayed

  • oisswafford
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2010
      > Does anyone know of any pre-1601 arms with an owl displayed? I'm finding lots of eagles, but not owls.

      I have a done a little research into owls in heraldry in the sca period. I haven't looked at continental resources yet but I haven't seen any owls displayed in English heraldry. The default posture appears to be close and it is never blazoned. Owls sometimes have human faces in period depictions and this feature isn't blazoned either which leads me to believe that it was common practice.

      This book has several owls with blazons and emblazons. A couple of them are:

      Folio 18:2
      S. John Sayvvyle, Yorkechyre: Argent, on a bend engraild sable three owls argent; quarterly with Thronhill, gules tow gemelles and a chief argent

      Folio 22b.:4
      Watyr Calvveryley of Lancasterchyre: Sable, a false excucheon between six owls 3.2.1. bordurewise argent.

      Folio 57b:4
      John Slye: Gules, a chevron azure between three owls argent.

      Folio 65:8
      Hewett of Staff (added) : Sable, a chevron engrailed argent between three owls of the second.

      Folio 40:6
      John Seffelle (Qy. Seyville, no Savile): Argent, on a bend sable, three owls of the field, a label (3) gules.
      (picture on p 193)

      Folio 42b:8
      Thomas Oulegreve: Azure, a fess engrailed argent, between three owls of the last (picture on p198)

      Folio 52b:6
      Sable, three owls 2 and 1 argent, legged gules.

      I hope that helps.

      Gwenlliana Clutterbooke
      Herald with a fondness for owls
    • eldwin_nightowl
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2010
        MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we ask that you not top post. Please delete any text which does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

        REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED

        Yes. I've found several examples, but here's one: "The arms (ones granted on 7th November 1894) are based on those of the ancient family of Oldham, which are Sable a chevron Or between three Owls Argent on a Chief Or three Roses Gules." http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/lancs_pre74.html#oldham cbc

        You'd have to check the dates for yourself, but there are many devices with owls at http://www.ngw.nl/themes/uil.htm

        I hope this helps!

        -- Eldwin Nightowl
      • eldwin_nightowl
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2010
          MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we ask that you not top post. Please delete any text which does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

          REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED

          I'll check that--thanks!

          \
        • eldwin_nightowl
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2010
            MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we ask that you not top post. Please delete any text which does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

            REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED

            Thanks for your help, even if it isn't what I was hoping. Ah well. I
            didn't know owls with human faces were common. Seeing one of those
            would be a little frightening.
          • Tiffany Brown
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 2010
              On 7 May 2010 01:38, oisswafford <oisswafford@...> wrote:
              > This book has several owls with blazons and emblazons.  A couple of them are:

              Which book please?

              thanks so much for the information. I've been focussed on early
              period, so the heraldry I've begun to look at has had pretty low
              chances of showing up an owl even if they were a rare but used charge.

              Teffania

              --
              . ___
              {o,o} The blog you are not looking for