Re: Investiture "script"...Digest #4438

  • Karen Tricomo
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2010
      Despina wrote: "It would help greatly to know what time frame and country you want the investiture to have taken place. For instance, the script on a document from 10th century England is different from that of the script on a document from 16th century Italy...."

      OK...this is going to sound a little corny, but have faith; it writes out much better than this if I ever get the darned thing finished...as in, a medieval adventure/romance novel I've had in my head since JrHigh...and as I'm 48 now, you can see that I'm a bit of a procrastinator...
      #1, it's very unlikely that the scenario I'm describing would EVER have happend in "real" history so that's the likely reason why I can't find anything similar to build off of...
      #2, it's technically 12th C England, but it's really "European" and essentially on "Planet Karen"...aka a totally non-existant place that's based off the CULTURE of 12th C England, so that there's a feel for how folks "lived" then (and to this end, I'd like to be as accurate as possible)...

      #3, here ya go...
      It's the typical love triangle between the daughter of King/Queen A, who's married off to the son of King/Queen B for political reasons, but of course, there's the up n'coming Hero of the story that the Princess was in love with before the arranged marriage and as such, there's much to complicate things afterwards, etc...In this case, it's a misunderstanding of an innocent siutation that gets labeled as adultery, charged to them as treason (by the enemy Kingdom's spy who's in high places within Kingdom B and is trying to sever any ties between Kingdoms A & B so that they'll be easier to take down in a war), so Hero and Heroine are sentenced to death...The Princess is helped to escape (and as such, forfeits any and all claims to her inheritance, both familial and marital) and after many exciting adventures, trials & tribulations, she's brought home and pardoned.  The one who thinks he caused all the trouble (the Hero, who mysteriously
      also escaped his "fate") is now the King in her Father's place (after he'd been killed in the war), and wants to give her her crown & title back to avoid any challenges to her claim...Hence my need for at least a format to follow with the oaths, etc...

      #4, our dashing Hero is going to marry our lovely Princess within 3mos of this scene anyway (thus making her a Queen), but it's a very personal thing to him to make this re-Investiture gesture and he won't be talked out of it.  I've actually got the introductory falderall done and am up to the part where the actual vows/oaths are being read and I hit a wall...You'd think that with all of the time I'd spent in the SCA so far, I'd have a better memory of "how it goes"...

      PS...Thanks SO much to Jehanne/Saionji and Baroness Guenièvre for your info!!!
      Catherine HofA