Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Persona Development

  • CLEY
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 4, 2010
      (snipped slightly, with apologies)

      > Like Madame du Pont, I come from An Tir where our emphasis is often
      > more recreation than re-creation. I have prided myself on the
      > authenticity of my garb, 'in persona' speech, and cooking - we have a
      > great baronial culinary guild and I have tried a lot of period
      > recipes. And the household I just joined required a persona story as
      > admission criteria, so I submitted seven pages, carefully composed by
      > "cracking the books" from Hakluyt's Voyages onwards. But in January I
      > felt lacking and reached a point where I felt I had to re-define my
      > SCA development path and establish a plan to guide me and measure
      > progress. And everyone I consulted recommended I devote my energy to
      > Persona Development. So I request the forbearance, guidance, and
      > support of this august assemblage in achieving this end.
      >
      > I started my quest by identifying over 120 items (now more than 150) I
      > would 'know and do comfortably' as my persona, grouped roughly into
      > ten areas (History and Geography, Society, Daily Life, Social
      > Activities, Apparel, Food and Drink, Arts, Sciences, Politics, and
      > Religion) and developing a five year plan (the 25 years for persona
      > creation suggested previously may be presumptuous as I am mundanely 58
      > years old) to address them and measure my progress. Some items are
      > easy - I now have six volumes of Elizabethan poetry that are too easy
      > to lose myself in - others more challenging - my high school music
      > classes and terrible singing voice help little with making music as an
      > Elizabethan courtier - and a few quite scary - my fear of hounds,
      > horses, and hawks petrify me when I should enjoy all three in persona.
      > But I believe that the persona DEVELOPMENT process may be rightly yclept.
      >
      > As an English (very minor) noble of 1595 I have the advantage of the
      > probably the richest documentation of any SCA place or period, and it
      > is in my native (and only) language, but as previously posted the
      > topics of Society (all levels), Daily Life, and Social Activities are
      > never really written down. Are there any suggestions from the group?
      >
      > Thank you for your coutesie.
      >
      > Peregrine Falconer, the Navigator
      >
      > __._
      My Lord Peregrine, I bid you good greetings. May I inquire as to which
      part of An Tir you call home? I am from the Three Mountains/Dragon's
      Mist area.

      I really admire your persona work, as I do all those who really delve
      into it and create the person. I've been in the Society for 28 years and
      am *still* assembling her: Arlys o Gordon is an early 14th century
      English noblewoman of the Gordon family, married to a distant Scottish
      cousin also of that name.

      I also have love the Henrician-Elizabethan eras, but as a disabled
      person, just can't deal with the clothes. ;-)

      However, you had asked for some additional source material to help you
      on your quest. Here are some from my bookshelves.

      _Shakespeare's England: Life in Elizabethan & Jacobean Times_. R.E.
      Prithchard, ed.

      _The Oxford Illustrated History of Tudor & Stuart Britain_. John
      Morrill, ed.

      _Birth, Marriage, and Death: Ritual, Religion, and the Life Cycle in
      Tudor & Stuart England_. David Cressy.

      _Elizabethan Life In Town and Country._ M. St. Clare Byrne

      _The Description of England: The Classic Contemporary Account of Tudor
      Social Life._ William Harrison

      Enjoy. :-)

      Fare thee well,
      Mistress Arlys
    • eldwin_nightowl
      Message 44 of 44 , May 6, 2010
        MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we ask that you not top post. Please delete any text which does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

        REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED

        Even though I'm an SCA lord, my primary persona is a 16th century
        Englishman who is not. He/I regretfully left the wondrous realm of
        Queen Elizabeth and am now living in a foreign land.

        -- Eldwin Nightowl <http://eldwin.loveshade.org/>