Re: Persona Development

  • Labhaoise
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 1, 2010
      Point of fact, given a thoughtful and attentive individual, holding object in hand, is the highest (primary) quality source... most of us will never get closer than peering at scraps of another period and culture, through snotty, fingerprinted glass, at a distance of at least ten feet. AND the labeling will be wrong!

      And yes, even the lucky individual who digs up the object in question makes all sorts of interpetations and assumptins.
      Labhaoise

      "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:
      > <<snip>>
      > (And I'll stop before this turns into me ranting about how people need to stop thinking about primary-secondary-tertiary, and start thinking about source quality.)
      >
      > There is always interpretation. To say there isn't, because you're looking at a book with photos of 12th c. pottery sherds, with a chart showing the results of carbon dating, is kidding yourself. Interpretation happens all the time.
      > <<snip>>
    • eldwin_nightowl
      Message 44 of 44 , May 6, 2010
        MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we ask that you not top post. Please delete any text which does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

        REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED

        Even though I'm an SCA lord, my primary persona is a 16th century
        Englishman who is not. He/I regretfully left the wondrous realm of
        Queen Elizabeth and am now living in a foreign land.

        -- Eldwin Nightowl <http://eldwin.loveshade.org/>