Persona Development at Hocktide

  • Madame du Pont
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2010
      Salutaions to the Populace of Authentic_SCA,
      This is what I sent out today to area branches. I have uploaded the introductory paper I wrote in your files under: Who Are You.pdf And thank you all for thy kind suggestions and I hope to learn more from you in the future.
      Adieu,
      Madame du Pont
      Shire de Tymberhavene
      Kingdom d'An Tir
      To the Great and Illustrious Populace of the Principality of the Summits, and to our neighbors to the south, the ever Gracious Barony of Allyshia, does Madame du Pont de Tymberhavene send Glorious greetings on this fine day!

      I wish to make known that on April 17th, Saturday at noon at the Hocktide Emprise event, (just north of Medford, OR) http://www.troygriffith.com/sca/, there shall be an Enchanted Gazebo!! We will be having a Persona Development/Challenge at the event. The purpose is to have you think more of your persona and add flavor to events. And it can be attained in the following ways, and you can decide how much you want to be involved.

      Level I:
      I will have a paper with 'greetings in Viking and an 100 other languages. If we all just learned one greeting and said it at gate and as we pass by each other, how the atmosphere could be filled with sounds of European voices in the air (no outrageous accents needed, just a 'greeting')... That is the main goal.

      Level II: I will have handouts you can take home.

      Level III: You can participate in the "Persona Challenge for the Day"!! After we discuss our personas, I shall put up the 'golden rope' around the Gazebo and we shall be who we are!!! We can interact at the gazebo for a bit and then 'off we go'. You can also bring something to the gazebo that your persona might be doing while we are sitting there visiting. You will get a badge of the Persona Development device to stick on your person so we know who is participating and can explain to others what we are doing. (In persona, of course.)

      When we leave the Gazebo, those who want to play, will not be Joe Smith....they will be Frederico de Espana, or whoever you are. We will play throughout the day until 10 minutes before court when the participants gather and pick a winner of the day! There will be a prize!

      I also have been seeking advise from the yahoo group: Authentic_SCA.
      1. I have been given a podcast site on being in persona,
      "Becoming a Historical Person" at
      http://livinghistorypodcast.com/

      2. A French daily living book translated into English,
      of Le Menagier de Paris' advice to housewives in French here:
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/

      3. And, the suggestion that the 'C' in SCA stands for 'crack open a book'...read about your time period and culture and check out museums when you can....

      We also will be emphasizing 'daily living' and not so much politics since we will all be from different time periods. Of course you can still know major political events that affect you. But basically, not much difference that our normal lives: We are more interested in what's going on at work, what's for dinner and where are the kids, than what Congress is doing that we can't do anything about anyway.

      I have an attachment i wrote to help get you started. It is 4 parts, but very short and lots of pictures....(I love pictures.)
      1. Picture This
      2. Who R U?
      3. But We Are All From Different Centuries, How Does That Work?
      4. Persona Development

      Now, if you are interested in this and not able to attend Hocktide, have no fear! Please email me and I will get a list of "us" together and if there is interest in this we shall do this at other events in the Summits.

      So, whether you shall be in attendance or not, please email me of thy interest:
      madamedupont@... and we shall walk the road of the Enchanted Land together.

      Device for Persona Development was submitted by Cariadoc for all to use. He is the facilitator of the Enchanted Land at Pennsic: "Azure, a candle inflamed within an annulet OR".

      Now, as we go on our merry way, I hope I stirred some interest inside your soul and sparked a thought of "How does this work????" Come and find out!!

      To the Dream!!!
    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
        "Madame du Pont" wrote:
        > Device for Persona Development was submitted by Cariadoc for all to use.
        > He is the facilitator of the Enchanted Land at Pennsic: "Azure, a candle
        > inflamed within an annulet OR".

        The Enchanted Ground is what Cariadoc hosts at Pennsic, not Enchanted
        Land, although i bet an E ticket ride there would be great.

        Have a great trip to Paris.
        --
        Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
        the persona formerly known as Anahita
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
          >>This is what I sent out today to area branches.

          I love it, Madame! Beautifully done. I wish you and all who participate great success!

          Azzah

          Sayyidah 'Azzah bint al-Badawi al-Murabbiyyah al-Rualliyyah (pending) and Aziza
          Shattered Crystal, Midrealm
          http://www.amentaah.com/sca/sca_home.html