Re: documentation suggestions?

  • lenastrid
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 18 7:12 AM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Olanich Raymond <cathy@...> wrote:

      > On Monday 15 March 2010 11:49:46 pm Folo Watkins wrote:
      > On
      > > http://www.regia.org/members/basclot3.htm, RolandWilliamson writer
      > > notes "There are, however, a few vague references to a leather or fur
      > > lined 'Thorax' (chest covering) being worn." Ironically there is a
      > > Vikes document that refers to a 9C woman's grave find in Scandinavia
      > > that held a beaver-fur garment lined with whast they think is hemp
      > > cloth, but I doubt if that is of interest to your research :)
      >
      > It's interesting to me, though. What document? Where was the grave located?
      > Any citations you may have would be useful. Thanks.

      I'm betting that it's from this article: Ågren, T. (1995) "Fur in Birka. An examination of hair residue on penannular brooches", Laborativ Arkeologi, vol. 8. pp.50-58.

      Unfortunately my copy is in storage, so I can't check it for you. Perhaps you can find it via inter library loan?

      /Lena
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 18 8:02 AM
        Holdings are in various Scandinavian libraries.
        UCL (University College London) also has the
        issue. Try ILL (though I haven't found it in any
        US libraries or journal collections). At worse
        case, Volume 8 (1995) is available for SEK 100 from the link below.

        Laborativ arkeologi ISSN 1101-7848

        "The journal Laborativ Arkeologi has been
        published under the auspices of the
        Archaeological Research Laboratory at Stockholm
        University since 1986. In 1995 the sub-title
        Journal of Nordic Archaeological Science was
        introduced. Starting with volume 13 (published in
        October 2002), the journal continues under the
        name of Journal of Nordic Archaeological Science,
        acronym JONAS (new ISSN: 1650-1519). "
        http://www.archaeology.su.se/pub/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1812

        Hope this helps.
        Beth Matney

        At 09:12 AM 3/18/2010, Lena wrote:
        >I'm betting that it's from this article: Ågren,
        >T. (1995) "Fur in Birka. An examination of hair
        >residue on penannular brooches", Laborativ Arkeologi, vol. 8. pp.50-58.
        >
        >Unfortunately my copy is in storage, so I can't
        >check it for you. Perhaps you can find it via inter library loan?
        >
        >/Lena
      • George A. Trosper
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 18 10:33 AM
          Folo Watkins wrote:
          > Our society AO
          That would be the Authenticity Officer of Regia Anglorum (to whom and
          which my admiration).
          > there is a Vikes document that refers . . .
          Is "Vikes" here slang for 'Viking' in a very general sense, or am I
          missing something?

          Thanks!
        • Folo Watkins
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 18 12:05 PM
            >Is "Vikes" here slang for 'Viking' in a very general sense, or am I
            >missing something?

            "The Vikes" is a common referral to The Vikings!, the old Norse Film
            & Pageant Society and one of the oldest (maybe the oldest) and
            largest Viking Age reenactment groups.

            Cheers, Folo
            Micel Folcland, Regia Anglorum
          • Catherine Olanich Raymond
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 18 5:18 PM
              MODERATOR NOTE: Please trim any portions of posts that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

              (MESSAGE EDITED)

              On Thursday 18 March 2010 10:12:42 am lenastrid wrote:
              > I'm betting that it's from this article: Ågren, T. (1995) "Fur in Birka. An
              > examination of hair residue on penannular brooches", Laborativ Arkeologi,
              > vol. 8. pp.50-58.
              >
              > Unfortunately my copy is in storage, so I can't check it for you. Perhaps
              > you can find it via inter library loan?

              I'll look for it. Thanks for the cite!

              --

              Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

              "No one can make as disastrous a bad choice as a smart person, because they
              sell it to themselves really well."--Tobias Buckell
            • Catherine Olanich Raymond
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 18 5:19 PM
                On Thursday 18 March 2010 11:02:31 am Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
                > Holdings are in various Scandinavian libraries.
                > UCL (University College London) also has the
                > issue. Try ILL (though I haven't found it in any
                > US libraries or journal collections). At worse
                > case, Volume 8 (1995) is available for SEK 100 from the link below.
                >
                > Laborativ arkeologi ISSN 1101-7848

                Even better. Thanks again!