Re: [Authentic_SCA] documentation suggestions?

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 16 6:40 AM
      >It's interesting to me, though. What document? Where was the grave located?
      >Any citations you may have would be useful. Thanks.

      That's about all there is. The site is
      http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/articles/as_textiles.htm,
      and there is a minimal documentation, but you might want to write the
      Vikes and see what they tell you back. I've always heard that it's
      nearly impossible to tell the difference between flax, nettle and
      hemp linen after a while, so I found this notation intriguing, though
      it's too early for me.

      Good luck!

      Cheers, Folo
    • Catherine Olanich Raymond
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 16 9:22 AM
        On Tuesday 16 March 2010 9:40:02 am Folo Watkins wrote:
        > >It's interesting to me, though. What document? Where was the grave
        > > located? Any citations you may have would be useful. Thanks.
        >
        > That's about all there is. The site is
        > http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/articles/as_textiles.htm,
        > and there is a minimal documentation, but you might want to write the
        > Vikes and see what they tell you back. I've always heard that it's
        > nearly impossible to tell the difference between flax, nettle and
        > hemp linen after a while, so I found this notation intriguing, though
        > it's too early for me

        Thanks!

        --

        Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

        "No one can make as disastrous a bad choice as a smart person, because they
        sell it to themselves really well."--Tobias Buckell
      • lenastrid
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 18 7:12 AM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Olanich Raymond <cathy@...> wrote:

          > On Monday 15 March 2010 11:49:46 pm Folo Watkins wrote:
          > On
          > > http://www.regia.org/members/basclot3.htm, RolandWilliamson writer
          > > notes "There are, however, a few vague references to a leather or fur
          > > lined 'Thorax' (chest covering) being worn." Ironically there is a
          > > Vikes document that refers to a 9C woman's grave find in Scandinavia
          > > that held a beaver-fur garment lined with whast they think is hemp
          > > cloth, but I doubt if that is of interest to your research :)
          >
          > It's interesting to me, though. What document? Where was the grave located?
          > Any citations you may have would be useful. Thanks.

          I'm betting that it's from this article: Ågren, T. (1995) "Fur in Birka. An examination of hair residue on penannular brooches", Laborativ Arkeologi, vol. 8. pp.50-58.

          Unfortunately my copy is in storage, so I can't check it for you. Perhaps you can find it via inter library loan?

          /Lena
        • Beth and Bob Matney
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 18 8:02 AM
            Holdings are in various Scandinavian libraries.
            UCL (University College London) also has the
            issue. Try ILL (though I haven't found it in any
            US libraries or journal collections). At worse
            case, Volume 8 (1995) is available for SEK 100 from the link below.

            Laborativ arkeologi ISSN 1101-7848

            "The journal Laborativ Arkeologi has been
            published under the auspices of the
            Archaeological Research Laboratory at Stockholm
            University since 1986. In 1995 the sub-title
            Journal of Nordic Archaeological Science was
            introduced. Starting with volume 13 (published in
            October 2002), the journal continues under the
            name of Journal of Nordic Archaeological Science,
            acronym JONAS (new ISSN: 1650-1519). "
            http://www.archaeology.su.se/pub/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1812

            Hope this helps.
            Beth Matney

            At 09:12 AM 3/18/2010, Lena wrote:
            >I'm betting that it's from this article: Ågren,
            >T. (1995) "Fur in Birka. An examination of hair
            >residue on penannular brooches", Laborativ Arkeologi, vol. 8. pp.50-58.
            >
            >Unfortunately my copy is in storage, so I can't
            >check it for you. Perhaps you can find it via inter library loan?
            >
            >/Lena
          • George A. Trosper
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 18 10:33 AM
              Folo Watkins wrote:
              > Our society AO
              That would be the Authenticity Officer of Regia Anglorum (to whom and
              which my admiration).
              > there is a Vikes document that refers . . .
              Is "Vikes" here slang for 'Viking' in a very general sense, or am I
              missing something?

              Thanks!
            • Folo Watkins
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 18 12:05 PM
                >Is "Vikes" here slang for 'Viking' in a very general sense, or am I
                >missing something?

                "The Vikes" is a common referral to The Vikings!, the old Norse Film
                & Pageant Society and one of the oldest (maybe the oldest) and
                largest Viking Age reenactment groups.

                Cheers, Folo
                Micel Folcland, Regia Anglorum
              • Catherine Olanich Raymond
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 18 5:18 PM
                  MODERATOR NOTE: Please trim any portions of posts that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

                  (MESSAGE EDITED)

                  On Thursday 18 March 2010 10:12:42 am lenastrid wrote:
                  > I'm betting that it's from this article: Ågren, T. (1995) "Fur in Birka. An
                  > examination of hair residue on penannular brooches", Laborativ Arkeologi,
                  > vol. 8. pp.50-58.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately my copy is in storage, so I can't check it for you. Perhaps
                  > you can find it via inter library loan?

                  I'll look for it. Thanks for the cite!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 18 5:19 PM
                    On Thursday 18 March 2010 11:02:31 am Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
                    > Holdings are in various Scandinavian libraries.
                    > UCL (University College London) also has the
                    > issue. Try ILL (though I haven't found it in any
                    > US libraries or journal collections). At worse
                    > case, Volume 8 (1995) is available for SEK 100 from the link below.
                    >
                    > Laborativ arkeologi ISSN 1101-7848

                    Even better. Thanks again!