documentation suggestions?

  • sabinadepontderenard
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 15 6:01 PM
      I am going to be researching fur lined cloaks in our period and am not sure where to start. Would anyone out there have any resources or suggestions for actual documentation?
      Thank you in advance..
      Sabina de Pont de Renard
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 15 8:14 PM
        On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM, sabinadepontderenard
        <sabinadepontderenard@...> wrote:

        > I am going to be researching fur lined cloaks in our period and am not sure where to start. Would anyone out there have any resources or suggestions for actual documentation?
        > Thank you in advance..
        > Sabina de Pont de Renard

        I have some examples of ermine-lined cloaks from Northern Qi burial
        tombs, but I'm suspecting you want European ones (though, for the life
        of me, I thought it looked like the typical "royal" cloaks I've seen
        in European depictions).

        What are you looking at? A history of fur-lined cloaks? What type of
        cloak is appropriate? Where are your geographic boundaries? That
        might all be useful.

        As for documentation, look for illuminations. I would suggest that
        the further north you go the more likely you are to have fur-lined
        garments of any kind, purely for climate concerns, though I believe
        you find them through Europe, though I can't think of any Roman
        depictions of fur-lined cloaks, per se, off the top of my head.

        -Ii
      • Folo Watkins
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 15 8:49 PM
          Our society AO just made a recent ruling outlawing most lined cloaks,
          noting that fur-lined cloaks date to late in our period (11-12C) and
          are restricted to posh impressions. On
          http://www.regia.org/members/basclot3.htm, RolandWilliamson writer
          notes "There are, however, a few vague references to a leather or fur
          lined 'Thorax' (chest covering) being worn." Ironically there is a
          Vikes document that refers to a 9C woman's grave find in Scandinavia
          that held a beaver-fur garment lined with whast they think is hemp
          cloth, but I doubt if that is of interest to your research :)

          At http://www.larsdatter.com/cloaks.htm, they note:
          "'ROYAL' CLOAK: I'm still deciding whether I want to include these as
          a category. Frequently has a fur capelet (cowl?) over a fur-lined
          cloak (with apparent opening on the right-hand side), usually also
          fur-lined. Fur is frequently ermine. Seems to appear only on men; in
          the 15th century, this evolves into a ceremonial-only garment for
          kings and noblemen. It may, in that way, be the men's equivalent of
          the sideless surcoat."
          but include no illustrations.

          Although there are a number of secondary references to fur-lined
          cloaks, The only example I can find with a quick search is an
          illustration of St. Michael fro the 15C, at
          http://www.claveringonline.org.uk/Local%20History/medieval_glass_in_clavering_chur.htm

          Hope this gives you at least some places to start looking. If you
          have ever decide to do an 8CV Quaker, I did find a great reference :)

          Cheers, Folo
          www.micelfol;cland.org
        • Catherine Olanich Raymond
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 16 4:48 AM
            On Monday 15 March 2010 11:49:46 pm Folo Watkins wrote:
            On
            > http://www.regia.org/members/basclot3.htm, RolandWilliamson writer
            > notes "There are, however, a few vague references to a leather or fur
            > lined 'Thorax' (chest covering) being worn." Ironically there is a
            > Vikes document that refers to a 9C woman's grave find in Scandinavia
            > that held a beaver-fur garment lined with whast they think is hemp
            > cloth, but I doubt if that is of interest to your research :)

            It's interesting to me, though. What document? Where was the grave located?
            Any citations you may have would be useful. Thanks.

            --

            Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

            "No one can make as disastrous a bad choice as a smart person, because they
            sell it to themselves really well."--Tobias Buckell
          • Folo Watkins
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 16 6:40 AM
              >It's interesting to me, though. What document? Where was the grave located?
              >Any citations you may have would be useful. Thanks.

              That's about all there is. The site is
              http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/articles/as_textiles.htm,
              and there is a minimal documentation, but you might want to write the
              Vikes and see what they tell you back. I've always heard that it's
              nearly impossible to tell the difference between flax, nettle and
              hemp linen after a while, so I found this notation intriguing, though
              it's too early for me.

              Good luck!

              Cheers, Folo
            • Catherine Olanich Raymond
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 16 9:22 AM
                On Tuesday 16 March 2010 9:40:02 am Folo Watkins wrote:
                > >It's interesting to me, though. What document? Where was the grave
                > > located? Any citations you may have would be useful. Thanks.
                >
                > That's about all there is. The site is
                > http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/articles/as_textiles.htm,
                > and there is a minimal documentation, but you might want to write the
                > Vikes and see what they tell you back. I've always heard that it's
                > nearly impossible to tell the difference between flax, nettle and
                > hemp linen after a while, so I found this notation intriguing, though
                > it's too early for me

                Thanks!

                --

                Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

                "No one can make as disastrous a bad choice as a smart person, because they
                sell it to themselves really well."--Tobias Buckell
              • lenastrid
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 18 7:12 AM
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Olanich Raymond <cathy@...> wrote:

                  > On Monday 15 March 2010 11:49:46 pm Folo Watkins wrote:
                  > On
                  > > http://www.regia.org/members/basclot3.htm, RolandWilliamson writer
                  > > notes "There are, however, a few vague references to a leather or fur
                  > > lined 'Thorax' (chest covering) being worn." Ironically there is a
                  > > Vikes document that refers to a 9C woman's grave find in Scandinavia
                  > > that held a beaver-fur garment lined with whast they think is hemp
                  > > cloth, but I doubt if that is of interest to your research :)
                  >
                  > It's interesting to me, though. What document? Where was the grave located?
                  > Any citations you may have would be useful. Thanks.

                  I'm betting that it's from this article: Ågren, T. (1995) "Fur in Birka. An examination of hair residue on penannular brooches", Laborativ Arkeologi, vol. 8. pp.50-58.

                  Unfortunately my copy is in storage, so I can't check it for you. Perhaps you can find it via inter library loan?

                  /Lena
                • Beth and Bob Matney
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 18 8:02 AM
                    Holdings are in various Scandinavian libraries.
                    UCL (University College London) also has the
                    issue. Try ILL (though I haven't found it in any
                    US libraries or journal collections). At worse
                    case, Volume 8 (1995) is available for SEK 100 from the link below.

                    Laborativ arkeologi ISSN 1101-7848

                    "The journal Laborativ Arkeologi has been
                    published under the auspices of the
                    Archaeological Research Laboratory at Stockholm
                    University since 1986. In 1995 the sub-title
                    Journal of Nordic Archaeological Science was
                    introduced. Starting with volume 13 (published in
                    October 2002), the journal continues under the
                    name of Journal of Nordic Archaeological Science,
                    acronym JONAS (new ISSN: 1650-1519). "
                    http://www.archaeology.su.se/pub/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1812

                    Hope this helps.
                    Beth Matney

                    At 09:12 AM 3/18/2010, Lena wrote:
                    >I'm betting that it's from this article: Ågren,
                    >T. (1995) "Fur in Birka. An examination of hair
                    >residue on penannular brooches", Laborativ Arkeologi, vol. 8. pp.50-58.
                    >
                    >Unfortunately my copy is in storage, so I can't
                    >check it for you. Perhaps you can find it via inter library loan?
                    >
                    >/Lena
                  • George A. Trosper
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 18 10:33 AM
                      Folo Watkins wrote:
                      > Our society AO
                      That would be the Authenticity Officer of Regia Anglorum (to whom and
                      which my admiration).
                      > there is a Vikes document that refers . . .
                      Is "Vikes" here slang for 'Viking' in a very general sense, or am I
                      missing something?

                      Thanks!
                    • Folo Watkins
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 18 12:05 PM
                        >Is "Vikes" here slang for 'Viking' in a very general sense, or am I
                        >missing something?

                        "The Vikes" is a common referral to The Vikings!, the old Norse Film
                        & Pageant Society and one of the oldest (maybe the oldest) and
                        largest Viking Age reenactment groups.

                        Cheers, Folo
                        Micel Folcland, Regia Anglorum
                      • Catherine Olanich Raymond
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 18 5:18 PM
                          MODERATOR NOTE: Please trim any portions of posts that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

                          (MESSAGE EDITED)

                          On Thursday 18 March 2010 10:12:42 am lenastrid wrote:
                          > I'm betting that it's from this article: Ågren, T. (1995) "Fur in Birka. An
                          > examination of hair residue on penannular brooches", Laborativ Arkeologi,
                          > vol. 8. pp.50-58.
                          >
                          > Unfortunately my copy is in storage, so I can't check it for you. Perhaps
                          > you can find it via inter library loan?

                          I'll look for it. Thanks for the cite!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 18 5:19 PM
                            On Thursday 18 March 2010 11:02:31 am Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
                            > Holdings are in various Scandinavian libraries.
                            > UCL (University College London) also has the
                            > issue. Try ILL (though I haven't found it in any
                            > US libraries or journal collections). At worse
                            > case, Volume 8 (1995) is available for SEK 100 from the link below.
                            >
                            > Laborativ arkeologi ISSN 1101-7848

                            Even better. Thanks again!