Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: 2nd Crusades

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4, 2010
      On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:52 PM, Quokkaqueen wrote:

      > So there is a vague chance that a cup - in a case- might be a
      > plausible way to carry a cup in the 15th and 16th centuries. It is
      > significantly different to the near-universally worn tankard on a
      > leather strap, but I'd suggest the concept itself is likely.

      As far as I know, the tankard on a leather strap hanging from a belt
      has purely practical modern roots -- I believe it was invented at
      Renaissance Faires in California, where having a cup always within
      reach is helpful in encouraging people to drink enough water and stay
      hydrated during a long and very hot day outdoors. Hikers sometimes
      carry a cup hooked to their belt for similar reasons.

    • Ynes de Toledo
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4, 2010
        > At some point I've been thinking how one may do a pilgrimage
        > medievally... I
        > think the solution would have to lie in traveling very lightly.

        You may be interested in this site, the blog of a girl who travelled
        the Santiago pilgrimage way from Turin in nearly entirely medieval kit

        http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/

        Check out her lovely equipment pages.

        best, Ynes de Toledo (Insulae Draconis)

      • George A. Trosper
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
          Labhaoise wrote:
          > the Coalition of Historical Treckers might have info...
          > http://www.coht.org/

          Except that their period starts when ours leaves off.

          --Gerard
        • Labhaoise
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8, 2010
            Thanks,