Re: 2nd Crusades

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
      <<snip>>
      > From my research the whole "Mug on the belt" thing is a modern concept
      <<snip>>

      There were leather cases that cups were placed inside:

      15-16th century French:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/medievalandrenaissance/3746015890/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/medievalandrenaissance/3745287445/
      http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O127927/cup-case-and/

      15-16th century German case (glass itself is earlier)
      http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/mi01636f01a.jpg

      15th century English case (glass is earlier)
      http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O3311/beaker-and-case-the-luck-of-edenhall/

      What might be just a guess from the Victoria & Albert Museum, is the idea that the case 'could be carried on a belt for convenience' or the 'thong might be used to tie a small case to a belt for convenience.' (From vam.ac.uk and the flickr descriptions, respectively.) So there is a vague chance that a cup - in a case- might be a plausible way to carry a cup in the 15th and 16th centuries. It is significantly different to the near-universally worn tankard on a leather strap, but I'd suggest the concept itself is likely.

      But this is much, much later than the 12th century and the time of the second Crusade.

      ~Asfridhr
    • Labhaoise
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4, 2010
        the Coilition of Historical Treckers might have info...
        http://www.coht.org/
        Labhaoise

        Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...> wrote:
        > Exactly, also armies elsewhere... What I've never read is what smaller bands
        > of more normal travellers would do. But it makes sense to me that they'd do
        > something similar, though on a smaller scale. I think there's several
        > account of pilgrimages (like Margery Kempe's IIRC) where pilgrims would join
        > in a group. What I'm not sure is the extent of their traveling arrangements.
      • Chris Laning
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4, 2010
          On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:52 PM, Quokkaqueen wrote:

          > So there is a vague chance that a cup - in a case- might be a
          > plausible way to carry a cup in the 15th and 16th centuries. It is
          > significantly different to the near-universally worn tankard on a
          > leather strap, but I'd suggest the concept itself is likely.

          As far as I know, the tankard on a leather strap hanging from a belt
          has purely practical modern roots -- I believe it was invented at
          Renaissance Faires in California, where having a cup always within
          reach is helpful in encouraging people to drink enough water and stay
          hydrated during a long and very hot day outdoors. Hikers sometimes
          carry a cup hooked to their belt for similar reasons.

        • Ynes de Toledo
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 4, 2010
            > At some point I've been thinking how one may do a pilgrimage
            > medievally... I
            > think the solution would have to lie in traveling very lightly.

            You may be interested in this site, the blog of a girl who travelled
            the Santiago pilgrimage way from Turin in nearly entirely medieval kit

            http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/

            Check out her lovely equipment pages.

            best, Ynes de Toledo (Insulae Draconis)

          • George A. Trosper
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
              Labhaoise wrote:
              > the Coalition of Historical Treckers might have info...
              > http://www.coht.org/

              Except that their period starts when ours leaves off.

              --Gerard
            • Labhaoise
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8, 2010
                Thanks,