Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 4413

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2010

      Probably something like a pilgrim's satchel -- see http://larsdatter.com/pilgrims.htm%c2%a0for several images showing this sort of bag in use.

      Another possibility would be a sort of shoulder-sack shown in several illustrations at http://larsdatter.com/wallets.htm%c2%a0-- though none (IIRC) as early as the Second Crusade, and probably less likely to have been used on long journeys.

      > (Does anybody know why our ancestors didn't
      > invent the 2- or 4-strap backpack until the 20th-c.?

      That's kind of an oddly-worded question ;-) but there are several back-worn packs that appear before the 20th century, including the pack baskets at http://larsdatter.com/baskets.htm%c2%a0-- other bags of this sort appear at various points (see http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/sitefiles/dragon-11.pdf%c2%a0for several 15th century examples).

      Part of the question of how one carries one's goods has to do with one's station in life; a nobleman on the road wouldn't have been physically burdened by carrying his own stuff around.  (That's what servants and/or wagons are for.) ;-)

      Karen
      www.larsdatter.com
    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2010
        <<snip>>
        > Another possibility would be a sort of shoulder-sack shown in several illustrations at http://larsdatter.com/wallets.htm%c2%a0-- though none (IIRC) as early as the Second Crusade, and probably less likely to have been used on long journeys.
        <<snip>>

        There is a manuscript ca. 1140 that seems to have a shoulder-sack on a stick:
        http://teffania.blogspot.com/2006/10/costume-acessories-from-cod-lat-15903.html (towards the bottom of the page).
        And a late 12th century example: http://teffania.blogspot.com/2006/11/chapes-pictures-of-ordinary-people-and.html

        Is that what you had in mind?

        ~Asfridhr