RE: [Authentic_SCA] 2nd Crusades

  • Robert Van Rens
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
      Kate wrote:

      > Hello,

      > My son has decided that he wants to portray a man at arms heading off to the 2nd crusades. He has found much on the clothing and weapon aspect. We are finding little information on is what a common soldier might have carried in his kit. I assume he must have had at least a bowl, spoon and knife, but cannot find anything anywhere that would indicate that. Does anybody have any ideas in where to go research wise or have any info on what they would have carried with them? Also what type of pack would have been historical for this period?

      > Thanks,

      > Kate W.

      And I'd bet money that those who ARE expert will tell us that the knife

      will be in a sheath hung from the belt, probably on the side opposite

      his sword, not stuffed into a pack. It will double as an eating and

      fighting knife. But I'd also bet that your son knows that bit already!

      I hang a drinking mug from my own 15th-c. belt, and I suspect that's

      suitable in town for his time, but I don't know if you'd do that on a

      journey or stow it in the pack. I'll be interested to hear.

      He would probably carried a scrip or wallet (a bag carried on a cross-body strap) made of coarse linen or hemp cloth. Possibly leather, but they seem much less common. In that bag, he would have bad a spoon, a couple of bowls (one for eating, and a smaller one for drinking) of wood, and possibly a flask for water or watered wine. The flask would likely have been pottery, or wood, or leather, but it's doubtful a common soldier could afford a metal flask. He would also have carried a knife on his belt, or stuck through his belt - it was a ubiqutious accessory for men, and almost always for women. This knife would have been both tool and eating utensil, and might double a weapon in a pinch.He would NOT have carried a mug on a strap at his belt. No one did - this is a modern anachronism with no evidence that it is based in historical practice. Drinking from a small jug (modernly a mug) is pretty vulgar, and there's not a lot of visual evidence for it this early. It was the kind of thing men did in taverns, or soldiers on campaign, or similar disreputable folks. Jugs small enough to be handy for drinking out of aren't at all common prior to the mid 13th C; while there are certainly beakers and cups of various types, bowls were MUCH more common. A soldier would almost certainly have had a wooden drinking bowl - it's cheap, it's easily replaceable anywhere, and it's tough to break.Hope this helps.Eadric the Potter

    • Marianne Perdomo
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
        Hello!

        I have no evidence for this, but it just occurred to me that what you'd
        carry in your bag/scrip would be the most personal things. If you were with
        an army I'd say chances are there'd be pack animals to carry anything
        bulkier. Many pilgrims also traveled in groups - perhaps they had pack
        animals, too, or could hire them. If you were on your own you probably still
        travelled lightly by keeping to the bare necessities and buying or stealing
        whatever else you needed on the way (replacement for worn-out shoes, for
        example).

        Alas I'd never seen this kind of details in what I have read. The only
        documentation hint I have is a book on European medieval trade routes which
        said that businessmen usually arranged transportation for goods
        bought/carried to be sold at inns. As I understood it, a businessman may
        leave Florence with X goods, going to Bruges in Flanders by land. He'd be
        hiring different transport services along the way. These were usually
        arranged with the help of innkeepers.

        Any evidence or thoughts for/against this idea?

        Of course our situation is often different, as we need to carry our things
        and have no pack animals, generally...

        Cheers!

        Leonor

      • Labhaoise
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
          When I was reading about Elianor of Aquitaine, they did speak to it. Many of the Ladies had extensive trains of belongings at the beginning of the journey to the crusades, which, when times got tough, got dumped by the way... These goods were also comandeered and used by the king to negotiate places to camp, food for the way, etc....

          Of course, people themselves were used as a rate of exchange, and left behind!
          Labhaoise

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
            2010/3/3 Labhaoise <labhaoise_obeachain@...>

            > When I was reading about Elianor of Aquitaine, they did speak to it. Many
            > of the Ladies had extensive trains of belongings at the beginning of the
            > journey to the crusades, which, when times got tough, got dumped by the
            > way... These goods were also comandeered and used by the king to negotiate
            > places to camp, food for the way, etc....

            Exactly, also armies elsewhere... What I've never read is what smaller bands
            of more normal travellers would do. But it makes sense to me that they'd do
            something similar, though on a smaller scale. I think there's several
            account of pilgrimages (like Margery Kempe's IIRC) where pilgrims would join
            in a group. What I'm not sure is the extent of their traveling arrangements.

            At some point I've been thinking how one may do a pilgrimage medievally... I
            think the solution would have to lie in traveling very lightly. Mantle, hat
            and water gourd on your walking staff. Money bag, perhaps some notes or a
            map for guidance, a shirt to change into while you wash the one you're
            wearing,...Not sure what else would be indispensable. A knife, probably, but
            if you managed to get proper food you would probably get your bowl and glass
            at the inn/wherever you ate. And if your shoes wore out you'd just get them
            mended or get new ones. It'd explain why they never show big bags/packs in
            such circumstances. Have I missed anything?

            Interesting theme, this. :)

            Leonor

          • George A. Trosper
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
              Robert Van Rens wrote:
              > He would NOT have carried a mug on a strap at his belt. No one did - this is a modern anachronism with no evidence that it is based in historical practice. Drinking from a small jug (modernly a mug) is pretty vulgar, and there's not a lot of visual evidence for it this early. It was the kind of thing men did in taverns, or soldiers on campaign, or similar disreputable folks.
              I am strangely pleased to discover that I'm doing something mildly
              disreputable--but annoyed that my method is anachronistic. Regrettably,
              my mug's chainmail-with-fake-jewels strap wasn't based on period visual
              evidence either. Now that I"m not carrying cigarettes and a lighter, I
              suspect it will fit in my belt pouch along with the car keys, 20th-c.
              wallet, bag for the rings, etc.

              I *have* seen visual evidence that tucking one's gloves into the belt is
              period.

              More on the original question:

              * It occurs to me that if you've got a sword and a knife, you'll carry
              sharpening equipment. I'd figure a whetstone and one or more oily
              cloths--presumably in a little oil-proof bag--but I may well need to
              stand corrected on this point, too.

              * While no D&D backpack would be complete without a length of rope, I
              don't know if it makes sense for our 2nd-Crusade armsman. But
              flint-&-steel seems reasonable.

              * If your boy already has a metal flask, or other too-fancy gear, he
              doesn't need to have afforded it. That's what foraging (aka looting) is
              for, and/or gifts from one's liege.
            • Quokkaqueen
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
                <<snip>>
                > From my research the whole "Mug on the belt" thing is a modern concept
                <<snip>>

                There were leather cases that cups were placed inside:

                15-16th century French:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/medievalandrenaissance/3746015890/
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/medievalandrenaissance/3745287445/
                http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O127927/cup-case-and/

                15-16th century German case (glass itself is earlier)
                http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/mi01636f01a.jpg

                15th century English case (glass is earlier)
                http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O3311/beaker-and-case-the-luck-of-edenhall/

                What might be just a guess from the Victoria & Albert Museum, is the idea that the case 'could be carried on a belt for convenience' or the 'thong might be used to tie a small case to a belt for convenience.' (From vam.ac.uk and the flickr descriptions, respectively.) So there is a vague chance that a cup - in a case- might be a plausible way to carry a cup in the 15th and 16th centuries. It is significantly different to the near-universally worn tankard on a leather strap, but I'd suggest the concept itself is likely.

                But this is much, much later than the 12th century and the time of the second Crusade.

                ~Asfridhr
              • Labhaoise
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2010
                  the Coilition of Historical Treckers might have info...
                  http://www.coht.org/
                  Labhaoise

                  Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...> wrote:
                  > Exactly, also armies elsewhere... What I've never read is what smaller bands
                  > of more normal travellers would do. But it makes sense to me that they'd do
                  > something similar, though on a smaller scale. I think there's several
                  > account of pilgrimages (like Margery Kempe's IIRC) where pilgrims would join
                  > in a group. What I'm not sure is the extent of their traveling arrangements.
                • Chris Laning
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2010
                    On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:52 PM, Quokkaqueen wrote:

                    > So there is a vague chance that a cup - in a case- might be a
                    > plausible way to carry a cup in the 15th and 16th centuries. It is
                    > significantly different to the near-universally worn tankard on a
                    > leather strap, but I'd suggest the concept itself is likely.

                    As far as I know, the tankard on a leather strap hanging from a belt
                    has purely practical modern roots -- I believe it was invented at
                    Renaissance Faires in California, where having a cup always within
                    reach is helpful in encouraging people to drink enough water and stay
                    hydrated during a long and very hot day outdoors. Hikers sometimes
                    carry a cup hooked to their belt for similar reasons.

                  • Ynes de Toledo
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2010
                      > At some point I've been thinking how one may do a pilgrimage
                      > medievally... I
                      > think the solution would have to lie in traveling very lightly.

                      You may be interested in this site, the blog of a girl who travelled
                      the Santiago pilgrimage way from Turin in nearly entirely medieval kit

                      http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/

                      Check out her lovely equipment pages.

                      best, Ynes de Toledo (Insulae Draconis)

                    • George A. Trosper
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
                        Labhaoise wrote:
                        > the Coalition of Historical Treckers might have info...
                        > http://www.coht.org/

                        Except that their period starts when ours leaves off.

                        --Gerard
                      • Labhaoise
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 8, 2010
                          Thanks,