Re: [Authentic_SCA] fashion history/costuming books

  • Kim Mitchell
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2010
      I can very highly recommend "The Medieval Tailor's Assistant, by Sarah Thursfield. Ms. Thursfield is a highly respected researcher in her field, with the added bonus that she is a dedicated historical interpreter as well. She recognizes how things were done, and is also able to present her material in a manner that is easy to understand by the 21st century tailor, or sempstress. Her techniques are not narrow in scope, and many can be documented through to the later years of the SCA period as well. http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Tailors-Assistant-Garments-1200-1500/dp/0896762394.

      Caroline Johnson's new book, "The King's Servants", also comes highly recommended. Edited by Ninya Mikhaila and Jane Malcolm-Davies, it is a treasure trove for those wishing to sew clothes worn in the style of Henrician menfolk who were not gentry or upper class. http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Servants-Dress-Accession-Henry/dp/0956267408/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267400914&sr=1-3

      A tough choice to make, but one that I am sure many of us wish had!

      Lady Jane Devereux
      Shire of Glaedenfeld
      Kingdom of Meridies
    • megatrope
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 1:23 PM
        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to those members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you do not top post. Please trim portions of previous posts that do not require repetition. Thank you.
        Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.
        (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

        I concur with "The Medieval Tailor's Assistant" and add that many of the extant pieces she references are further discussed in the Museum of London's "Textiles and Clothing", which is also a wonderful resource.

        I also can't live without "Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince" by Stella Newton.

        Cecilia