Re: Splits in Skirts

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2010
      <<snip>>
      > AFAIK, there is no evidence for contrasting-coloured gussets in period
      > (although you do see it occasionally in SCA-wear).
      <<snip>>

      Depending on how dodgy your skills are at dyeing fabric, you may accidentally wind up with gores a different shade than the tunic body.
      (Or, how well the dyes were preserved over time, which is what I suspect is what gives the yellow-green Guddal tunic more yellowish sleeves and a gore -- about halfway down here -- http://home.broadpark.no/~jantaule/div%20om%20middelalderen/diverse_om_middelalderen.htm )

      For a clearer example of uneven dyeing giving slightly different shades of colour, see a modern reconstruction of a tunic here:
      http://www.vesteraalen.info/gavlen_skjoldehamndrakten_2_09.JPG
      from http://www.vesteraalen.info/reportasje_andoy_skjoldeforedrag_09.htm

      But that's different to having _contrasting_ gores. The only examples I can think of are within the SCA period (pre-1600), but aren't European (they're 16th century Korean).

      ~Asfridhr
      (Who has one dress in particular that is fading very unevenly, and is now a weird combination of lavender and blue-grey.)