Re: [Authentic_SCA] Tudor trouble

  • Michael Hurley
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
      On Feb 3, 2010, at 2:10 PM, sugihara_naome wrote:
      > As part of an "apprentice challenge" I am making a Tudor gown. The
      > trouble I have run into is that I do not have quite enough fabric
      > for the outer gown. My research shows that tailors were extremely
      > creative in piecing and creating false fronts on skirts to conserve
      > expensive fabrics. I'm wondering if anyone may know if it would be
      > accurate to make the outer gown (split front) with a band of a
      > coordinating fabric between 9 and 18 inches wide at the hem? If
      > acceptable, would the split be bordered/edged as well, and how wide
      > should that "border" be?

      Hey Sugi! It's Hurley. I'm not %100 clear on what you mean. Did you
      mean the entire outer skirt is too short by some 9-18 inches and will
      therefore need to be extended by some non-matching fabric? I don't
      specialize in Tudor, so I'm not going to try and comment on the
      question, just trying to make sure everything is clear and understood.
      Thanks!
      --
      Auf wiedersehen!
      Michael

      "..No."

      -Real Genius
    • Brad Moore
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
        Greetings unto Sugihara no Naome,

        You might look at some pictures of Tudor and/or French gowns with guards or welts.  These were bands of wool, velvet, or brocade applied around the hem, or a few inches above it in an alternative color.  Guards were used on both men and women's clothing, and while they were normally applied over the top of the fabric, conceivably, you could use a band of fabric of another color to mimic the appearance of a guard to get the length that you need.

        Part way down the page, you'll see photos of a skirt with guards applied, they can be wide or narrow, and can have more than one.  Hope this helps.
        http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/diary/diary4.html

        Je Reste,

        En Service au Reve,

        Nicolas L'Anguille
         Brad Moore

        "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
        - J.R.R. Tolkien

      • sugihara_naome
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
          Hurley-dono, thank you for your help in clarifying my question!

          Nicolas-dono, that solves it! Domo arigato gozaimasu!

          Sugihara no Naome
        • Brad Moore
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
            Dou itashimashite, Sugihara-san.