Tudor trouble

  • sugihara_naome
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
      As part of an "apprentice challenge" I am making a Tudor gown. The trouble I have run into is that I do not have quite enough fabric for the outer gown. My research shows that tailors were extremely creative in piecing and creating false fronts on skirts to conserve expensive fabrics. I'm wondering if anyone may know if it would be accurate to make the outer gown (split front) with a band of a coordinating fabric between 9 and 18 inches wide at the hem? If acceptable, would the split be bordered/edged as well, and how wide should that "border" be?

      Domo arigato!
      Sugihara no Naome
      Kingdom of Gleann Abhann
    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
        On Feb 3, 2010, at 2:10 PM, sugihara_naome wrote:
        > As part of an "apprentice challenge" I am making a Tudor gown. The
        > trouble I have run into is that I do not have quite enough fabric
        > for the outer gown. My research shows that tailors were extremely
        > creative in piecing and creating false fronts on skirts to conserve
        > expensive fabrics. I'm wondering if anyone may know if it would be
        > accurate to make the outer gown (split front) with a band of a
        > coordinating fabric between 9 and 18 inches wide at the hem? If
        > acceptable, would the split be bordered/edged as well, and how wide
        > should that "border" be?

        Hey Sugi! It's Hurley. I'm not %100 clear on what you mean. Did you
        mean the entire outer skirt is too short by some 9-18 inches and will
        therefore need to be extended by some non-matching fabric? I don't
        specialize in Tudor, so I'm not going to try and comment on the
        question, just trying to make sure everything is clear and understood.
        Thanks!
        --
        Auf wiedersehen!
        Michael

        "..No."

        -Real Genius
      • Brad Moore
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
          Greetings unto Sugihara no Naome,

          You might look at some pictures of Tudor and/or French gowns with guards or welts.  These were bands of wool, velvet, or brocade applied around the hem, or a few inches above it in an alternative color.  Guards were used on both men and women's clothing, and while they were normally applied over the top of the fabric, conceivably, you could use a band of fabric of another color to mimic the appearance of a guard to get the length that you need.

          Part way down the page, you'll see photos of a skirt with guards applied, they can be wide or narrow, and can have more than one.  Hope this helps.
          http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/diary/diary4.html

          Je Reste,

          En Service au Reve,

          Nicolas L'Anguille
           Brad Moore

          "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
          - J.R.R. Tolkien

        • sugihara_naome
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
            Hurley-dono, thank you for your help in clarifying my question!

            Nicolas-dono, that solves it! Domo arigato gozaimasu!

            Sugihara no Naome
          • Brad Moore
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
              Dou itashimashite, Sugihara-san.