Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: paper castles

  • Marianne Perdomo
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
      2010/1/26 Antonia di Benedetto Calvo <dama.antonia@...>

      > I don't think a 20th century novel counts as evidence

      There's plenty of evidence for paper before the 14th century if you look in
      the right places (like a history of paper, or writing surfaces). No need to
      prove that much...

      For the record Xativa (Jativa) in Moslem Spain was producing paper at least
      by 1150.
      http://www.xatired.com/laciutat/1999/091999/el_papel_de_xativa.htm

      IIRC, 14th c. Italian merchant Marco Datini (aka the Merchant of Prato) had
      plenty of letters on paper.

      For more info on the history of paper see:
      http://users.stlcc.edu/nfuller/paper/

      Of course this doesn't solve the question of the decorative castles
      mentioned... which sounds very intriguing.

      Cheers!

      Marianne / Leonor

    • Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
        Marianne Perdomo wrote:
        > 2010/1/26 Antonia di Benedetto Calvo <dama.antonia@...>
        >

        >> I don't think a 20th century novel counts as evidence
        >>

        > There's plenty of evidence for paper before the 14th century if you look in
        > the right places (like a history of paper, or writing surfaces). No need to
        > prove that much...

        I don't deny it. I'm sure the is plenty of evidence. It's just not in
        _The Name of the Rose_.

        --
        Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

        -----------------------------
        Habeo metrum - musicamque,
        hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
        -Georgeus Gershwinus
        -----------------------------
      • xina007eu
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Antonia di Benedetto Calvo <dama.antonia@...> wrote:

          > I don't think a 20th century novel counts as evidence
          >
          > --
          > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

          Hi Antonia,

          I didn't intend the reference as evidence, rather as a memory aid. Nevertheless, the author of the novel in question did a lot of research for this book. My guess is that he probably did more research for novel than than many of us, myself included, have done in all our lives, and I personally have a lot of respect for him.

          Best regards,

          Christina