OT: Regia Display at Festival of Maidens

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2010
      Popular media has given us a perverted perspective of the Middle
      Ages. Some might believe that the Middle Ages was filled with royalty
      and nobility, with knights and damsels in distress and with a couple
      serfs and freemen thrown in, usually for comic effect.

      Micel Folcland, the local chapter of Regia Anglorum, has devoted
      itself to portraying the "common Anglo-Scandinavian on the cowpath."
      Recognizing that 80-90% of everyone from the middle ages were
      farmers, and that even a lot of people perceived as merchants,
      tradesmen and Vikings were just moonlighting, Micel Folcland this
      year is stressing the importance of agricultural efforts in the
      middle ages. Going from manuscripts and from archaeological
      discoveries at York, it has built a variety of agricultural tools in
      an effort to better portray the everyday life of the era.

      This weekend, at the Urbana-Champaign (Illinois) Festival of Maidens
      (SCA), the display of these period agricultural tools shall be set up
      for the first time for the public. We hope that persons attending the
      event and interested in medieval history will stop by, look at the
      tools and listen to our discussions of everyday life during that era.
      We want to thank the Urbana-Champaign chapter of the SCA for its
      invitation to set up at its artisan's fair and to unveil, for the
      first time, our thought-provoking new display.

      Cheers, Folo Watkins
      www.micelfolcland.org - regia.org
      "When the Twenty-First Century Is Not Enough"