The Belles Heures unbound and on display, New York 3/2-6/13/2010

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2010
      When I lived in the East, no trip to the Cloisters was complete without a visit to the Treasury to see which page the "Belles Heures" was turned to that day.

      Coming this spring to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, "The Belles Heures (1405–1408/9) of Jean de Berry, a treasure of The Cloisters collection, is one of the most celebrated and lavishly illustrated manuscripts in this country. Because it is currently unbound, it is possible to exhibit all of its illuminated pages as individual leaves, a unique opportunity never to be repeated. The exhibition will elucidate the manuscript, its artists—the young Franco-Netherlandish Limbourg Brothers—and its patron, Jean de France, duc de Berry. A select group of precious objects from the same early fifteenth-century courtly milieu will place the manuscript in the context of the patronage of Jean de Berry and his royal family, the Valois."

      http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={288576D8-CAF2-4560-B690-9436DE2FA717}

      Jehanne de Wodeford
      Who may have to plan a visit home that includes this