Re: Question about documentation source...

  • desamona13
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      Yes, Yes!

      This is fantastic. Until someone corrects me with differing proof, I will use this link and this source.

      Thanks again! You've saved my documentable bacon!

      Cheers!

      Lady Des

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

      > On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:41 PM, desamona13 wrote:
      > > Hi, everyone!
      > >
      > > I've been looking around the web at the source for this picture of
      > > Empress Matilda of England, and I can't seem to find it.
      > >
      > > I suspect it is from a manuscript, but I can't be sure, and I'm not
      > > sure if it is in a museum or a private collection.
      > >
      > > Would anyone be willing to help me locate it's source for
      > > documentation purposes?
      > >
      > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Empress_matilda.jpg
      >
      > According to the below link its from 'The Golden Book of St Albans' by
      > Thomas Walsingham and William de Wylum circa 1380. I don't know if
      > it's correct or not, though.
      >
      > http://www.topfoto.co.uk/gallery/womeninhistory/ppages/ppage3.html
      > --
      > Auf wiedersehen!
      > Michael
      > "..Um..Something strange happened to me this morning."
      >
      > "Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort
      > of Sun God robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked
      > women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
      >
      > "..No."
      >
      > "Why am I the only person that has that dream?"
      >
      > -Real Genius

    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
        On Jan 2, 2010, at 9:27 PM, desamona13 wrote:
        > Yes, Yes!
        >
        > This is fantastic. Until someone corrects me with differing proof,
        > I will use this link and this source.
        >
        > Thanks again! You've saved my documentable bacon!

        You're most welcome. And for your future reference, all I did to find
        it was Google picture search for "Queen Matilda of England" and wander
        through the images that matched that one until I found one with a book
        reference. It took all of 5 minutes. Try it yourself next time you
        find an unattributed picture like that. You may find the documentation
        for which you seek!
        --
        Auf wiedersehen!
        Michael

        "..No."

        -Real Genius
      • desamona13
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
          Thank you. I had searched google images for "Matilda of England", but not "Queen". I'll try a few more search strings next time.

          Thanks again!
          Des

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

          > On Jan 2, 2010, at 9:27 PM, desamona13 wrote:
          > > Yes, Yes!
          > >
          > > This is fantastic. Until someone corrects me with differing proof,
          > > I will use this link and this source.
          > >
          > > Thanks again! You've saved my documentable bacon!
          >
          > You're most welcome. And for your future reference, all I did to find
          > it was Google picture search for "Queen Matilda of England" and wander
          > through the images that matched that one until I found one with a book
          > reference. It took all of 5 minutes. Try it yourself next time you
          > find an unattributed picture like that. You may find the documentation
          > for which you seek!
          > --
          > Auf wiedersehen!
          > Michael
          > "..Um..Something strange happened to me this morning."
          >
          > "Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort
          > of Sun God robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked
          > women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
          >
          > "..No."
          >
          > "Why am I the only person that has that dream?"
          >
          > -Real Genius

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
            Dingdingdingdingding!

            With Michael's attribution, I searched on "Golden Book of St. Albans," and got a hit on Karen Larsdatter's site for a completely different illustration with an attribution that told me the manuscript was in the British Library, so I went to the British Library's website and searched on "Matilda." Here she is.

            http://www.imagesonline.bl.uk/results.asp?image=067630&imagex=2&searchnum=2

            Cheers,
            Jehanne de Wodeford
            West Kingdom