Re: [Authentic_SCA] Question about documentation source...

  • Michael Hurley
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:41 PM, desamona13 wrote:
      > Hi, everyone!
      >
      > I've been looking around the web at the source for this picture of
      > Empress Matilda of England, and I can't seem to find it.
      >
      > I suspect it is from a manuscript, but I can't be sure, and I'm not
      > sure if it is in a museum or a private collection.
      >
      > Would anyone be willing to help me locate it's source for
      > documentation purposes?
      >
      > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Empress_matilda.jpg

      According to the below link its from 'The Golden Book of St Albans' by
      Thomas Walsingham and William de Wylum circa 1380. I don't know if
      it's correct or not, though.

      http://www.topfoto.co.uk/gallery/womeninhistory/ppages/ppage3.html
      --
      Auf wiedersehen!
      Michael

      "..No."

      -Real Genius
    • desamona13
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
        Yes, Yes!

        This is fantastic. Until someone corrects me with differing proof, I will use this link and this source.

        Thanks again! You've saved my documentable bacon!

        Cheers!

        Lady Des

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

        > On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:41 PM, desamona13 wrote:
        > > Hi, everyone!
        > >
        > > I've been looking around the web at the source for this picture of
        > > Empress Matilda of England, and I can't seem to find it.
        > >
        > > I suspect it is from a manuscript, but I can't be sure, and I'm not
        > > sure if it is in a museum or a private collection.
        > >
        > > Would anyone be willing to help me locate it's source for
        > > documentation purposes?
        > >
        > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Empress_matilda.jpg
        >
        > According to the below link its from 'The Golden Book of St Albans' by
        > Thomas Walsingham and William de Wylum circa 1380. I don't know if
        > it's correct or not, though.
        >
        > http://www.topfoto.co.uk/gallery/womeninhistory/ppages/ppage3.html
        > --
        > Auf wiedersehen!
        > Michael
        > "..Um..Something strange happened to me this morning."
        >
        > "Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort
        > of Sun God robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked
        > women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
        >
        > "..No."
        >
        > "Why am I the only person that has that dream?"
        >
        > -Real Genius

      • Michael Hurley
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
          On Jan 2, 2010, at 9:27 PM, desamona13 wrote:
          > Yes, Yes!
          >
          > This is fantastic. Until someone corrects me with differing proof,
          > I will use this link and this source.
          >
          > Thanks again! You've saved my documentable bacon!

          You're most welcome. And for your future reference, all I did to find
          it was Google picture search for "Queen Matilda of England" and wander
          through the images that matched that one until I found one with a book
          reference. It took all of 5 minutes. Try it yourself next time you
          find an unattributed picture like that. You may find the documentation
          for which you seek!
          --
          Auf wiedersehen!
          Michael

          "..No."

          -Real Genius
        • desamona13
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
            Thank you. I had searched google images for "Matilda of England", but not "Queen". I'll try a few more search strings next time.

            Thanks again!
            Des

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

            > On Jan 2, 2010, at 9:27 PM, desamona13 wrote:
            > > Yes, Yes!
            > >
            > > This is fantastic. Until someone corrects me with differing proof,
            > > I will use this link and this source.
            > >
            > > Thanks again! You've saved my documentable bacon!
            >
            > You're most welcome. And for your future reference, all I did to find
            > it was Google picture search for "Queen Matilda of England" and wander
            > through the images that matched that one until I found one with a book
            > reference. It took all of 5 minutes. Try it yourself next time you
            > find an unattributed picture like that. You may find the documentation
            > for which you seek!
            > --
            > Auf wiedersehen!
            > Michael
            > "..Um..Something strange happened to me this morning."
            >
            > "Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort
            > of Sun God robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked
            > women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
            >
            > "..No."
            >
            > "Why am I the only person that has that dream?"
            >
            > -Real Genius

          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
              Dingdingdingdingding!

              With Michael's attribution, I searched on "Golden Book of St. Albans," and got a hit on Karen Larsdatter's site for a completely different illustration with an attribution that told me the manuscript was in the British Library, so I went to the British Library's website and searched on "Matilda." Here she is.

              http://www.imagesonline.bl.uk/results.asp?image=067630&imagex=2&searchnum=2

              Cheers,
              Jehanne de Wodeford
              West Kingdom