Question about documentation source...

  • desamona13
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      Hi, everyone!

      I've been looking around the web at the source for this picture of Empress Matilda of England, and I can't seem to find it.

      I suspect it is from a manuscript, but I can't be sure, and I'm not sure if it is in a museum or a private collection.

      Would anyone be willing to help me locate it's source for documentation purposes?

      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Empress_matilda.jpg

      Thanks very much in advance,

      Lady Des
    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
        On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:41 PM, desamona13 wrote:
        > Hi, everyone!
        >
        > I've been looking around the web at the source for this picture of
        > Empress Matilda of England, and I can't seem to find it.
        >
        > I suspect it is from a manuscript, but I can't be sure, and I'm not
        > sure if it is in a museum or a private collection.
        >
        > Would anyone be willing to help me locate it's source for
        > documentation purposes?
        >
        > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Empress_matilda.jpg

        According to the below link its from 'The Golden Book of St Albans' by
        Thomas Walsingham and William de Wylum circa 1380. I don't know if
        it's correct or not, though.

        http://www.topfoto.co.uk/gallery/womeninhistory/ppages/ppage3.html
        --
        Auf wiedersehen!
        Michael

        "..No."

        -Real Genius
      • desamona13
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
          Yes, Yes!

          This is fantastic. Until someone corrects me with differing proof, I will use this link and this source.

          Thanks again! You've saved my documentable bacon!

          Cheers!

          Lady Des

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

          > On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:41 PM, desamona13 wrote:
          > > Hi, everyone!
          > >
          > > I've been looking around the web at the source for this picture of
          > > Empress Matilda of England, and I can't seem to find it.
          > >
          > > I suspect it is from a manuscript, but I can't be sure, and I'm not
          > > sure if it is in a museum or a private collection.
          > >
          > > Would anyone be willing to help me locate it's source for
          > > documentation purposes?
          > >
          > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Empress_matilda.jpg
          >
          > According to the below link its from 'The Golden Book of St Albans' by
          > Thomas Walsingham and William de Wylum circa 1380. I don't know if
          > it's correct or not, though.
          >
          > http://www.topfoto.co.uk/gallery/womeninhistory/ppages/ppage3.html
          > --
          > Auf wiedersehen!
          > Michael
          > "..Um..Something strange happened to me this morning."
          >
          > "Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort
          > of Sun God robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked
          > women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
          >
          > "..No."
          >
          > "Why am I the only person that has that dream?"
          >
          > -Real Genius

        • Michael Hurley
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
            On Jan 2, 2010, at 9:27 PM, desamona13 wrote:
            > Yes, Yes!
            >
            > This is fantastic. Until someone corrects me with differing proof,
            > I will use this link and this source.
            >
            > Thanks again! You've saved my documentable bacon!

            You're most welcome. And for your future reference, all I did to find
            it was Google picture search for "Queen Matilda of England" and wander
            through the images that matched that one until I found one with a book
            reference. It took all of 5 minutes. Try it yourself next time you
            find an unattributed picture like that. You may find the documentation
            for which you seek!
            --
            Auf wiedersehen!
            Michael

            "..No."

            -Real Genius
          • desamona13
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
              Thank you. I had searched google images for "Matilda of England", but not "Queen". I'll try a few more search strings next time.

              Thanks again!
              Des

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

              > On Jan 2, 2010, at 9:27 PM, desamona13 wrote:
              > > Yes, Yes!
              > >
              > > This is fantastic. Until someone corrects me with differing proof,
              > > I will use this link and this source.
              > >
              > > Thanks again! You've saved my documentable bacon!
              >
              > You're most welcome. And for your future reference, all I did to find
              > it was Google picture search for "Queen Matilda of England" and wander
              > through the images that matched that one until I found one with a book
              > reference. It took all of 5 minutes. Try it yourself next time you
              > find an unattributed picture like that. You may find the documentation
              > for which you seek!
              > --
              > Auf wiedersehen!
              > Michael
              > "..Um..Something strange happened to me this morning."
              >
              > "Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort
              > of Sun God robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked
              > women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
              >
              > "..No."
              >
              > "Why am I the only person that has that dream?"
              >
              > -Real Genius

            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
                Dingdingdingdingding!

                With Michael's attribution, I searched on "Golden Book of St. Albans," and got a hit on Karen Larsdatter's site for a completely different illustration with an attribution that told me the manuscript was in the British Library, so I went to the British Library's website and searched on "Matilda." Here she is.

                http://www.imagesonline.bl.uk/results.asp?image=067630&imagex=2&searchnum=2

                Cheers,
                Jehanne de Wodeford
                West Kingdom