Introduction for Colm Dubh

  • ScottC
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2009
      I have been a member for over two decades; my doctorates are in history
      and linguistics. I started in Caid, moved to Meridies, became a member of GA, then washed up in Trimaris. I am an apprentice in cordials because I could not find a Laurel in name research--pitiful few in research period in the SCA--and a friend whom I respected was a vintner
      and a proclaimed Laurel--never an apprentice. The Laurelate just up and recognized him. My awards all basically pertain to my name research
      (and consultation).
    • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 2009
        > I have been a member for over two decades; my doctorates are in
        > historyand linguistics. I started in Caid, moved to Meridies,
        > became a member of GA, then washed up in Trimaris. I am an
        > apprentice in cordials because I could not find a Laurel in name
        > research--pitiful few in research period in the SCA--and a
        > friend whom I respected was a vintner
        > and a proclaimed Laurel--never an apprentice. The Laurelate
        > just up and recognized him. My awards all basically pertain to
        > my name research
        > (and consultation).

        If I may...

        What you are is an Apprentice...

        You dont have to consider yourself an Aprentice in any particular discipline except what _you_ choose to study.

        Unless you CHOOSE and PREFER to become "known" for cordial making, or your master insists on it.

        (BTW, I had rather thought that this would be a difficult path, since most period Cordials I am aware of are medicinal, and do not resemble the cordials we are modernly familiar with -- a relatively thickly sweet flavored liqour with added ardent spirit )

        What an apprenticeship can be, ( and often is ) is a relationship with someone who will help you to become more known in the A&S circle, introduce you to other Laurels in your area, help you to direct and focus your studies, encourage you in your pursuit, and above all, help you to develop your "PLQs" ("Peer Like Qualities")

        That relationship does not mean you have to learn any _particular_ art from him.

        I personally was apprenticed to a Laurel who got his for research into period ceremonials, and I got mine for Nautical studies, of which he was generally unfamiliar.

        Capt Elias
        OL

      • christopher chastain
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2009
          I personally was apprenticed to a Laurel who got his for research into period ceremonials, and I got mine for Nautical studies, of which he was generally unfamiliar.

          Capt Elias

          Capt,

          Morning sir, this brings a question. Im into the navigation side of the nautical world of ours and was curious about something. If I wanted to pursue it to peership should I stay more focused on period navigation or broaden more into a general maritime realm?

          Yours in Humble Service,
          Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
          Christmas - What other time of the year do you sit in front of a plastic tree and eat candy out of your socks?

          To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
          From: gedney@...
          Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:34:44 +0000
          Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Introduction for Colm Dubh

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 2009
            > Capt,
            >
            > Morning sir, this brings a question. Im into the navigation
            > side of the nautical world of ours and was curious about
            > something. If I wanted to pursue it to peership should I stay
            > more focused on period navigation or broaden more into a general
            > maritime realm?

            You can definitely focus on the Navigation end, there is a lot there to learn and teach about.
            On the sciences end, you have the instrumentation, the tools, the theory, the astronomy, the cosmography, the philosophy...
            On the Arts end, you have "crafty" stuff such as replicating the tools and techniques...

            But dont worry about "aiming" for the peerage.
            Want it, that's OK, but want is as a model to emulate, or as a gateway to getting to a larger audience, but dont want it as a goal of itself, just cause you want the honor.
            Peerage costs too much, then.

            my way to look at it is this:
            The toy prize in the cereal box is only "free" if you LIKE the cereal in the first place.
            If not you've just spent 6 dollars to get a 2 cent plastic gewgaw and that is foolishness.

            Peerage is something that comes free from the love and enthusiasm you pour into your passion.

            But be wary!
            Once you achieve it, it is not the end of the road but really just a signpost that you are on the right road, you only _start_ running at that point.
            Nobody "Rests on Their Laurels..." (well nobody should)

            Peerage is just the start, and really only signals that the real work is at hand.

            That is because now everybody knows you and their expectations are much higher and they are going to be much easier to disappoint.

            You stop being a face in the crowd.
            You become the "face" of your service, craft, skill, or martial activity.

            That is a heavy responsibility.

            Seek peerage.
            But seek it knowing what it is and what it means.

            If you do, I'll be happy and honored to help you along your path.

            Capt Elias
            OL

            > Yours in Humble Service,
            > Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
            > Christmas - What other time of the year do you sit in front of a
            > plastic tree and eat candy out of your socks?
            >

            > To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
            > From: gedney@...
            > Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:34:44 +0000
            > Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Introduction for Colm Dubh
            >

            > > I have been a member for over two decades; my doctorates are
            > in
            > > historyand linguistics. I started in Caid, moved to Meridies,
            > > became a member of GA, then washed up in Trimaris. I am an
            > > apprentice in cordials because I could not find a Laurel in
            > name
            > > research--pitiful few in research period in the SCA--and a
            > > friend whom I respected was a vintner
            > > and a proclaimed Laurel--never an apprentice. The Laurelate
            > > just up and recognized him. My awards all basically pertain to
            > > my name research
            > > (and consultation).
            >
            > If I may...
            >
            > What you are is an Apprentice...
            >
            > You dont have to consider yourself an Aprentice in any
            > particular discipline except what _you_ choose to study.
            >
            > Unless you CHOOSE and PREFER to become "known" for cordial
            > making, or your master insists on it.
            >
            > (BTW, I had rather thought that this would be a difficult path,
            > since most period Cordials I am aware of are medicinal, and do
            > not resemble the cordials we are modernly familiar with -- a
            > relatively thickly sweet flavored liqour with added ardent
            > spirit )
            >
            > What an apprenticeship can be, ( and often is ) is a
            > relationship with someone who will help you to become more known
            > in the A&S circle, introduce you to other Laurels in your area,
            > help you to direct and focus your studies, encourage you in your
            > pursuit, and above all, help you to develop your "PLQs" ("Peer
            > Like Qualities")
            >
            > That relationship does not mean you have to learn any
            > _particular_ art from him.
            >
            > I personally was apprenticed to a Laurel who got his for
            > research into period ceremonials, and I got mine for Nautical
            > studies, of which he was generally unfamiliar.
            >
            > Capt Elias
            > OL

          • christopher chastain
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 23, 2009
              Thanks Capt,

              I admit I tend to look at things thru the stick jock mindset sometimes which can be.........misworded? (target=kill) This is my other side of my sca experience and want to pursue my knowledge and experience within this area. Im also studying cartography so I can make my own maps. As I told my knight I want to be able to tell folks how to get to hell and draw them a map so they dont get lost!