New Book: The World of Pharmacy and Pharm acists in Mamlūk Cairo

  • Samia al-Kaslaania
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2009
      From another list~~ Samia

      -------- Original Message --------

      From: Leigh Chipman [mailto:leigh.chipman@...]
      Sent: 17 November 2009 20:15

      ** Apologies for cross-posting**

      Dear colleagues,

      I am happy to announce that my book, *The World of Pharmacy and Pharmacists in Mamlūk Cairo*, has just been published by Brill.

      This is the first detailed analysis of an immensely popular 13th c. Arabic guide for pharmacists, *Minhāj al-dukkān* (“How to manage a pharmacy”), by Abū ʾl-Munā al-Kūhīn al-ʿAṭṭār (fl. 1260), dating from a time in which Jewish physicians and pharmacists worked alongside Muslim and Christian practioners. This is the first attempt to explore the full spectrum of pharmacy in the medieval Arabic world: identification of the materia medica and methods of preparation; pharmacy’s place within the sciences and particularly its relationship with medicine; the social position of the pharmacist and his role in the marketplace and the hospital; the economics of pharmacy; legal aspects of pharmacy; and the image of the pharmacist in literature and drama. The result is a full and nuanced picture of a section of society usually invisible.

      Readership: All those interested in the history of pre-modern medicine and science (particularly pharmacy and materia medica), and in the social and intellectual history of the Middle East, especially during the Mamlūk period.

      With best wishes,

      Leigh Chipman
      --
      ===================================
      Dr Leigh Chipman

      Teaching Fellow, Amirim Program for Outstanding Students and Rothberg International School The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
    • Jibra'il `Attar
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 18, 2009
        Samia taunts with:
        > I am happy to announce that my book, *The World of Pharmacy and Pharmacists in Mamlūk Cairo*, has just been
        > published by Brill.
        >
        > This is the first detailed analysis of an immensely popular 13th c. Arabic guide for pharmacists, *Minhāj al-dukkān*
        > (“How to manage a pharmacy”), by Abū ʾl-Munā al-Kūhīn al-ʿAṭṭār (fl. 1260), dating from a time in which Jewish physicians
        > and pharmacists worked alongside Muslim and Christian practioners. <snip>

        You know...with a surname like `Attar...this book _neeeeeeeds_ to be
        on my bookshelf...now!!! Sooo...who wants to donate to the "Get
        Jibra'il this really awesome cool book!" Fund?!? *heh*

        Jibra'il `Attar.