Period charters for Organizations or Clubs

  • blaze2242
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2009
      My Lord and I are starting our household and thought it might be fun to include some sort of charter that members signed with our rules and tenets. As one of the purposes of our household is to pursue authenticity in our encampment and personas we were wondering if there any period basis for something like this? A gentlemen's club or society of some sort? We'd like to do it in calligraphy as an actual charter, and we would like it to be authentic if we can. Thanks for any links to text or images.
      Rose Atherton
      Adiantum, An Tir
    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2009
        >My Lord and I are starting our household and
        >thought it might be fun to include some sort of
        >charter that members signed with our rules and
        >tenets. As one of the purposes of our household
        >is to pursue authenticity in our encampment and
        >personas we were wondering if there any period
        >basis for something like this? A gentlemen's
        >club or society of some sort? We'd like to do it
        >in calligraphy as an actual charter, and we
        >would like it to be authentic if we can. Thanks
        >for any links to text or images.

        I don't know off hand about period ones--if I
        understand what you're looking for, but here are
        a few modern reenactor manifestoes that might be
        similar to what you're thinkingabout:
        Original ACW Campaigner's Manifesto:
        http://www.geocities.com/potomac_legion/company_i/manifesto.html
        Authentic ACW Civilians
        http://www.winstontown.com/winstontown_web_006.htm
        Progressive RevWar:
        http://rwprogressive.blogspot.com/2007/08/what-is-progressive-when-it-comes-to.html
        1812 US Marines and Navy
        http://www.1812usmarines.org/Philosophy.htm
        Micel Folcland Cýðing of Gerád
        http://www.advancenet.net/folo/Micel_Folcland_Cyding.htm
        Great War
        http://s12.zetaboards.com/The_Trench_Line/topic/127793/1/

        If that'snot what you're lookingfor, just ignore me. Good luck!

        Cheers, Folo
        www.micelfolcland.org
      • charles stefanich
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2009
          If you do a web search for "The Order of St. George of Hungary" you should be able to find an on line copy of their charter. It was a period military order founded by the King of Hungary to bind powerful Lords together to defend against the Ottomans. An existing copy from which the on line copy was taken is in the Hungarian National Museum.
          In service,
          Valli Estevan
        • blaze2242
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2009
            (Moderator note: Please do not top-post to this list, thank you Despina)

            Thanks for the links, the manifestos were definitely interesting read as to how other reenactors have done it and the Order of St. George seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

            Rose
            An Tir