Re: Metallic Threads

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2009
      Looking at this online version of "A Smaller Social History," at:
      http://www.libraryireland.com/SocialHistoryAncientIreland/Contents.php
      and the chapter on embroidery, at: http://www.libraryireland.com/SocialHistoryAncientIreland/III-XXII-4.php

      Am I right that you're basing your search for goldwork on this paragraph?:

      "Embroidery was also practiced as a separate art or trade by women. An embroiderer kept for her work, among other materials, thread of various colours, as well as silver thread, and a special needle. The design or pattern to be embroidered--as we find recorded and described in the Senchus Mór--was drawn and stamped beforehand, by a designer, on a piece of leather, which the embroiderer placed lying before her and imitated with her needle."

      The Senchus Mór is part of the Brehon Laws, but a quick search of the internet doesn't really give any information about embroidery (there is about different classes of society wearing different colours, but that seems to be about it. Even then, it may be difficult to tell if the colour-coding was being practiced in the 6th century.)

      The earliest embroideries I can think of are in Europe, and from the continent.
      The sleeves of Queen Arnegunde:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/6948/arnegunde.html
      The relics of Queen Bathilde:
      http://www.encyclopedie-universelle.com/abbaye%20-%20art%20m%E9rovingien%201-3.html

      Sorry I can't be of much help,

      ~Asfridhr

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "jeffthegeek1974" <publisher@...> wrote:
      <<snip>>
      > I am trying to research the authenticity of using metallic threads in embroidering a 6th century Irish Celt. So far the best evidence I can find is from "A SMALLER SOCIAL HISTORY OF ANCIENT IRELAND
      <<snip>>