Re: [Authentic_SCA] Households: was Introduction: Katherine Robillard

  • Kirrily Robert
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2001
      In lists.sca.authentic-sca, you wrote:

      >And how, Katherine, do you find this book? Is it pleasing? Is it well
      >documented? I'm always on the look out for gifts for Bogdan and this
      >sounds as if it would be good, provided it's well documented, etc....

      I don't have it on me and haven't looked at it in a little while, but
      roughly speaking:

      The author is a re-enactor who has, for some years, been responsible for
      bringing these kitchens to life. Most of the buildings are still
      standing and usable, and he really seems to know his way around.

      The book starts out with a map and side elevation of the buildings and
      runs through which rooms were used for what. I was absolutely
      fascinated to find out all the different "departments" within the
      kitchen complex. It quotes a lot of primary sources such as household
      accounts, which I seem to recall were well referenced.

      Later he goes on to talk more about the food served, and provides some
      recipes. I don't think he gave the original recipe sources, just his
      modern interpretation of them, so any SCA cook who values authenticity
      will probably treat them with some caution.

      Most of the pictures are line drawings, and I think there were a few
      photographs of the kitchens in their current state with the re-enactors
      at work in there.

      Generally speaking, I appreciated the book because it gave me a great
      insight into daily life in a huge 16th century household. It was full
      of fascinating snippets of information, and reasonably deep as well as
      reasonably broad. A damn good overview, but you'd probably want to back
      it up with other primary sources before using it as documentation for
      any major project.

      Yours,

      Katherine

      --