Re: how do you say these?

  • unclrashid@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2001
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Jeff Heilveil <heilveil@u...> wrote:

      > Marry
      > Mary
      > Merry
      >
      > should all sound VERY different..... doesn't seem to happen that
      way
      > though...

      Depends on where you are from. I read an article on US accents once
      that claimed Philadelphia PA has more vowel sounds than most. We can
      pronounce them so you hear the difference, but we get a little vague
      on the diff between merry & Murray. Its nothing to be proud of, just
      an accident of the composite dialects in any one area.

      Also of interest to linguists, NJ has many distinctive accents that
      vary from township to township.. Sometime it changes in only a few
      miles.

      Rashid