Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Silk tunics

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
      On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:40 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone know of evidence for silk tunics and what kind of silk was used?
      >
      > Aha, memory jog achieved:
      > http://www.virtue.to/articles/extant.html
      >
      > There are two silk tunics in here.

      I had seen that, and then completely forgotten about it! It's
      strange: I just rarely think of this kind of silk for things western
      until it came crunch time and I pulled out all of the fabric in the
      apartment--lots of silks, but hardly any linens, cottons, and no
      wools. I still want to get some good linens, both for lining and
      regular garments, but we'll have to see how it goes.

      -Ii/E.
    • Heather Rose Jones
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 12, 2009
        I'm reading this belatedly (since very little of Yellowstone Park has
        net access), so I hope it's still pertinent.

        If you check out the database of surviving historic garments on my web
        site (heatherrosejones.com), one of the things you can search on is
        "fabric type = silk" + "general garment class = body garment". You
        can narrow the search down further if you get too many results. While
        the site itself won't tell you what type of silk fabric was involved,
        it provides a bibliography of publications that mention the garment,
        which will have more information.

        Heather Rose Jones

        On Sep 9, 2009, at 10:39 PM, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know of evidence for silk tunics and what kind of silk
        > was used?
        >
        > I have access to a ton of silk--it is about the weight of lightweight
        > cotton, and semi-opaque (definitely need a lining or an undershirt).
        > Would that have been used for tunics or other garments? Does anyone
        > have good research points to investigate?
        >

        > -Ii
        >
        > PS: I'll go looking for the footed stocking evidence when I get a
        > chance. Just haven't had much time with my sources. Too busy getting
        > ready for the group's first ever event!

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 12, 2009
          On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Heather Rose Jones
          <heather.jones@...> wrote:

          > I'm reading this belatedly (since very little of Yellowstone Park has
          > net access), so I hope it's still pertinent.
          >
          > If you check out the database of surviving historic garments on my web
          > site (heatherrosejones.com), one of the things you can search on is
          > "fabric type = silk" + "general garment class = body garment". You
          > can narrow the search down further if you get too many results. While
          > the site itself won't tell you what type of silk fabric was involved,
          > it provides a bibliography of publications that mention the garment,
          > which will have more information.

          Nice! I like what you are doing. I could definitely see this being
          handy for things.

          -Ii
        • Ann Franchi
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 12, 2009
            MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
            (MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED, EDITED)

            On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:39 AM, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

            > Just haven't had much time with my sources. Too busy getting
            > ready for the group's first ever event!

            Congratulations on your group's first ever event!!

            How did it go?

            Anitra
          • Lisa Briner Kilmer
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 13, 2009
              I have found several yards of sueded silk in my stash of pre-garb. Is this finish too modern for our our purposes?

              Merci,
              Ysabel

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 14, 2009
                On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Ann Franchi <AnitraF@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:39 AM, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Just haven't had much time with my sources. Too busy getting
                > > ready for the group's first ever event!
                > >

                > Congratulations on your group's first ever event!!
                >
                > How did it go?

                Heh... not until Oct 24th. But with literally starting from the
                ground up, there are tunics to sew, tabards to prepare, details to
                iron out, etc... all while teaching new SCAdians about fighting and
                how to get their own kit together.

                -Ii
              • Ann Franchi
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 14, 2009
                  MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
                  (MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED, EDITED)
                  On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:39 AM, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

                  Have you checked Stefan's Florilegium? There are articles there on putting
                  kit together on a budget.

                  Anitra