Re: Silk tunics

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 10 11:49 AM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Samia al-Kaslaania <samia@...> wrote:
      > If it is habotai, could you use it for making banners or wall hangings?
      > Pennants for the lists field? Silk is quite easy to dye with Jacquard
      > Acid Dyes (the acid is vinegar).

      The original poster is in Thailand. If it's anything like the silk he sent me last Christmas. Imagine a dupioni fine enough to read newsprint through and you'll have an idea of the weight/hand.

      Saionji no Hanae
      West Kingdom
    • gianottadallafiora
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 10 12:20 PM
        <snip>
        > The original poster is in Thailand. If it's anything like the silk he sent me last Christmas. Imagine a dupioni fine enough to read newsprint through and you'll have an idea of the weight/hand.
        >
        > Saionji no Hanae
        > West Kingdom

        That sounds like perfect undertunic silk, if it's anything like the Thai silk scarf I have.

        Many Indian saris are woven in that weight too. When I use them for costume pieces, I line them well, or wear an opaque linen undertunic.

        It sounds like it would make a fantastic summerweight tunic or bliaut. One thing I do recall from some of my reading is that at least in Sicily, there were different grades and weights of silk being produced outside of Palermo; some of them were cheaper exports. Only the heavy brocade pieces survived, though, so I have no idea what these lesser grades of silk fabric looked like, or how they were woven. I would imagine there were sheer silks being produced, not just brocades. But what types of clothing were constructed from them?

        Adelisa
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 10 2:40 PM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know of evidence for silk tunics and what kind of silk was used?

          Aha, memory jog achieved:
          http://www.virtue.to/articles/extant.html

          There are two silk tunics in here.

          Saionji no Hanae
          West Kingdom
        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 10 4:35 PM
            On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:40 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone know of evidence for silk tunics and what kind of silk was used?
            >
            > Aha, memory jog achieved:
            > http://www.virtue.to/articles/extant.html
            >
            > There are two silk tunics in here.

            I had seen that, and then completely forgotten about it! It's
            strange: I just rarely think of this kind of silk for things western
            until it came crunch time and I pulled out all of the fabric in the
            apartment--lots of silks, but hardly any linens, cottons, and no
            wools. I still want to get some good linens, both for lining and
            regular garments, but we'll have to see how it goes.

            -Ii/E.
          • Heather Rose Jones
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 12 6:57 PM
              I'm reading this belatedly (since very little of Yellowstone Park has
              net access), so I hope it's still pertinent.

              If you check out the database of surviving historic garments on my web
              site (heatherrosejones.com), one of the things you can search on is
              "fabric type = silk" + "general garment class = body garment". You
              can narrow the search down further if you get too many results. While
              the site itself won't tell you what type of silk fabric was involved,
              it provides a bibliography of publications that mention the garment,
              which will have more information.

              Heather Rose Jones

              On Sep 9, 2009, at 10:39 PM, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know of evidence for silk tunics and what kind of silk
              > was used?
              >
              > I have access to a ton of silk--it is about the weight of lightweight
              > cotton, and semi-opaque (definitely need a lining or an undershirt).
              > Would that have been used for tunics or other garments? Does anyone
              > have good research points to investigate?
              >

              > -Ii
              >
              > PS: I'll go looking for the footed stocking evidence when I get a
              > chance. Just haven't had much time with my sources. Too busy getting
              > ready for the group's first ever event!

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 12 7:03 PM
                On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Heather Rose Jones
                <heather.jones@...> wrote:

                > I'm reading this belatedly (since very little of Yellowstone Park has
                > net access), so I hope it's still pertinent.
                >
                > If you check out the database of surviving historic garments on my web
                > site (heatherrosejones.com), one of the things you can search on is
                > "fabric type = silk" + "general garment class = body garment". You
                > can narrow the search down further if you get too many results. While
                > the site itself won't tell you what type of silk fabric was involved,
                > it provides a bibliography of publications that mention the garment,
                > which will have more information.

                Nice! I like what you are doing. I could definitely see this being
                handy for things.

                -Ii
              • Ann Franchi
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 12 10:18 PM
                  MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
                  (MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED, EDITED)

                  On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:39 AM, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

                  > Just haven't had much time with my sources. Too busy getting
                  > ready for the group's first ever event!

                  Congratulations on your group's first ever event!!

                  How did it go?

                  Anitra
                • Lisa Briner Kilmer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 13 10:45 AM
                    I have found several yards of sueded silk in my stash of pre-garb. Is this finish too modern for our our purposes?

                    Merci,
                    Ysabel

                  • JL Badgley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 14 6:39 AM
                      On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Ann Franchi <AnitraF@...> wrote:

                      > On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:39 AM, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Just haven't had much time with my sources. Too busy getting
                      > > ready for the group's first ever event!
                      > >

                      > Congratulations on your group's first ever event!!
                      >
                      > How did it go?

                      Heh... not until Oct 24th. But with literally starting from the
                      ground up, there are tunics to sew, tabards to prepare, details to
                      iron out, etc... all while teaching new SCAdians about fighting and
                      how to get their own kit together.

                      -Ii
                    • Ann Franchi
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 14 11:31 AM
                        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
                        (MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED, EDITED)
                        On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:39 AM, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

                        Have you checked Stefan's Florilegium? There are articles there on putting
                        kit together on a budget.

                        Anitra