Re: Official Documents

  • hillofbees
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
      > As a novice researcher, I wonder were many of you are getting access to period official documents (like wills, court documents, and the such)?
      >
      > This question is especially for those who research countries who do not speak English.
      >
      > Lady Ana de Granada

      Dear Ana,

      From your name, can I ask if you are particularly interested in Spanish/Moorish sources? If so, can I also invite you to join us (if you have not already done so) over in the Medieval_Spain and spaniards_sca Yahoo groups?

      If it is Spanish primary sources you are looking for, there are fewer online than for some other areas. There are published inventories and wills - Isabella La Catolica's is particularly fantastic - but they are not common in Anglophone countries. Many major or national libraries have them, and another great source is the internationally based Cervantes Institute has great library resources. Libraries of universities with Spanish courses also.

      Glad to welcome another Spanish researcher!

      Ynes de Toledo
    • Marianne Perdomo
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
        For Spanish sources in particular you can use www.corpusdelespanol.org
        This basically allows you to search for words in medieval Spanish (and
        modern, but I just use it for medieval) which can have many uses... finding
        how the word was used, seeking documents that contain such words, etc. It
        searches in many literary works but also in collections of documents.Very
        useful for names, too.

        Cheers!

        Leonor

      • anabeladg
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
          > Dear Ana,
          >
          > From your name, can I ask if you are particularly interested in Spanish/Moorish sources? If so, can I also invite you to join us (if you have not already done so) over in the Medieval_Spain and spaniards_sca Yahoo groups?
          >
          > If it is Spanish primary sources you are looking for, there are fewer online than for some other areas. There are published inventories and wills - Isabella La Catolica's is particularly fantastic - but they are not common in Anglophone countries. Many major or national libraries have them, and another great source is the internationally based Cervantes Institute has great library resources. Libraries of universities with Spanish courses also.
          >
          > Glad to welcome another Spanish researcher!
          >
          > Ynes de Toledo

          Yes, I have studied Castile during the reign of Alphonso X. I am starting to research Isabella la Catolica as I return to late period again. I have investigated the research of many others (eg Mistress Jassamyn and Violante as well as Ruth Anderson's book).

          I would like to dive into more primary (and secondary) sources to see if I can come up with the same conclusions they have.

          Thanks for your assistance,
          Ana de Granada
        • hillofbees
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009

            > Yes, I have studied Castile during the reign of Alphonso X. I am starting to research Isabella la Catolica as I return to late period again. I have investigated the research of many others (eg Mistress Jassamyn and Violante as well as Ruth Anderson's book).
            >
            > I would like to dive into more primary (and secondary) sources to see if I can come up with the same conclusions they have.

            Ana, the thing to do then is probably to look at the primary sources that Anderson, Jessamyn and Violante cite, and follow up those leads. The other excellent source to look at for bibliographic material is Carmen Bernis' Indumentaria Medieval EspaƱola, which Anderson bases a lot of her research on anyway.

            cheers, Ynes