Re: [Authentic_SCA] On the bottom of chausses...

  • Tiffany Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2009
      2009/9/9 JL Badgley <tatsushu@...>:
      > a) Did the feet of said garments wear through quickly?

      I have a pair of poor quality linen hose, and worn with a a thin pair
      of turnshoes with a large hole in the heel, I've worn a hole in these
      hose twice in just one evening of a few dances on hard packed ground.
      I know next time I'll use sturdier fabric, as i'm sure medieval people
      soon learned, but I do think fabric would wear through fairly quickly.

      > b) Did they put some sort of sole on them?

      Yes. That leather soles were added to cloth hose seems to be one of
      these statements that is very widely stated (especially for 12th C,
      especially for knights a horseback), but I haven't tracked down a
      really solid source for yet. Probably because my main focus is
      archeological remains, and if the fabric has rotted away, it just
      looks like a shoe sole, so I need to look at literary sources.

      > c) Am I seeing something drawn, not done.
      > d) Are there "invisible" shoes--that is, shoes of the same color that
      > the chausses/hose are made out of?

      Look for the lead outline under the drawing, when you can get high
      resolution pictures. Sometimes you'll see a fine horizontal line
      above the ankle whihc has not been reproduced in the ink and
      colouring - ie the artist who is colouring in may not have been hte
      same as hte one who did the original sketching, and may have
      misinterpreted.

      I don't think actual same coloured shoes are likely to be common, but
      artist mistakes/ misinterpretatins/hurried shortcuts etc are.

      > e) Something else?

      Also check carefully for footless hose - these seem to have existed,
      so are a possible thing you coulds see. Some look like stirrup pants.

      Hose could be worn with pattens (or clogs) without a shoe, both
      pattens and clogs are around in this time frame and I get the feeling
      the 15th C fashion for pattens without shoes didn't come out of
      nothing. Woven straw sandals or low leather "bog shoes" are also an
      option, but not one I've found evidence for yet.

      From my recollections, most pictures of peasants in the fields had
      bare legs, so be cautious where you have black and white or outline
      drawings, rather than rather obvious green legs etc.

      Some example pictures might help confirm your interpretation as well
      as illuminate us?

      Teffania
      --
      . ___