Official Documents

  • anabeladg
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2009
      As a novice researcher, I wonder were many of you are getting access to period official documents (like wills, court documents, and the such)?

      This question is especially for those who research countries who do not speak English.

      Lady Ana de Granada
      Shire of Crystal Mynes, Calontir
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2009
        On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:57 AM, anabeladg<anabeladg@...> wrote:

        > As a novice researcher, I wonder were many of you are getting access to
        > period official documents (like wills, court documents, and the such)?
        >
        > This question is especially for those who research countries who do not
        > speak English.

        I usually find them in some sort of research book, or an anthology,
        where someone else has gone to the trouble of writing it down. Many
        times the letters of famous people are written down in their
        biographies, such as letters between (OOP) John and Abigail Adams or
        Mary, Queen of Scots, and her co-conspirators. Sometimes in museums,
        where I take pictures (if allowed) of the letter and the text. Some
        schools or libraries will have access to rare book rooms and other
        such collections, where they keep that stuff (though gaining access
        may require some assistance if you aren't already affiliated with the
        institution in some way).

        -Ii
      • Brad Moore
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2009
          Lady Ana,

          Do you have access to a college or university in your area?  I'm an MA student in History, and there are a number of fantastic databases for researching historic documents.  I will enclose links to a few that I can access from my University.  Some, have a fee (which if you are a student are often covered by the institution's library).  The following are those I could access without a special login code.  Not all are in English, and reading knowledge of Latin is extremely useful for much of the period.  Good luck.

          Nicolas L'Anguille,
          Shire-Marche of the Grimfells, Calontir

          http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/welcome.htm

          http://sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu/patentrolls/

          http://www.haverford.edu/library/reference/mschaus/mfi/mfi.html

          http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.html

          http://standish.stanford.edu/bin/page?forward=home

          http://bsbdmgh.bsb.lrz-muenchen.de/dmgh_new/

          http://www.netserf.org/

          http://www.the-orb.net/

          http://romandelarose.org/#home

          http://labyrinth.georgetown.edu/

          http://www.braidense.it/dire/tresor/tresor.html

          https://www.msu.edu/~georgem1/history/medieval.htm

           Brad Moore

          "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
          - J.R.R. Tolkien

        • hillofbees
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
            > As a novice researcher, I wonder were many of you are getting access to period official documents (like wills, court documents, and the such)?
            >
            > This question is especially for those who research countries who do not speak English.
            >
            > Lady Ana de Granada

            Dear Ana,

            From your name, can I ask if you are particularly interested in Spanish/Moorish sources? If so, can I also invite you to join us (if you have not already done so) over in the Medieval_Spain and spaniards_sca Yahoo groups?

            If it is Spanish primary sources you are looking for, there are fewer online than for some other areas. There are published inventories and wills - Isabella La Catolica's is particularly fantastic - but they are not common in Anglophone countries. Many major or national libraries have them, and another great source is the internationally based Cervantes Institute has great library resources. Libraries of universities with Spanish courses also.

            Glad to welcome another Spanish researcher!

            Ynes de Toledo
          • Marianne Perdomo
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
              For Spanish sources in particular you can use www.corpusdelespanol.org
              This basically allows you to search for words in medieval Spanish (and
              modern, but I just use it for medieval) which can have many uses... finding
              how the word was used, seeking documents that contain such words, etc. It
              searches in many literary works but also in collections of documents.Very
              useful for names, too.

              Cheers!

              Leonor

            • anabeladg
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
                > Dear Ana,
                >
                > From your name, can I ask if you are particularly interested in Spanish/Moorish sources? If so, can I also invite you to join us (if you have not already done so) over in the Medieval_Spain and spaniards_sca Yahoo groups?
                >
                > If it is Spanish primary sources you are looking for, there are fewer online than for some other areas. There are published inventories and wills - Isabella La Catolica's is particularly fantastic - but they are not common in Anglophone countries. Many major or national libraries have them, and another great source is the internationally based Cervantes Institute has great library resources. Libraries of universities with Spanish courses also.
                >
                > Glad to welcome another Spanish researcher!
                >
                > Ynes de Toledo

                Yes, I have studied Castile during the reign of Alphonso X. I am starting to research Isabella la Catolica as I return to late period again. I have investigated the research of many others (eg Mistress Jassamyn and Violante as well as Ruth Anderson's book).

                I would like to dive into more primary (and secondary) sources to see if I can come up with the same conclusions they have.

                Thanks for your assistance,
                Ana de Granada
              • hillofbees
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009

                  > Yes, I have studied Castile during the reign of Alphonso X. I am starting to research Isabella la Catolica as I return to late period again. I have investigated the research of many others (eg Mistress Jassamyn and Violante as well as Ruth Anderson's book).
                  >
                  > I would like to dive into more primary (and secondary) sources to see if I can come up with the same conclusions they have.

                  Ana, the thing to do then is probably to look at the primary sources that Anderson, Jessamyn and Violante cite, and follow up those leads. The other excellent source to look at for bibliographic material is Carmen Bernis' Indumentaria Medieval Española, which Anderson bases a lot of her research on anyway.

                  cheers, Ynes