Re: [Authentic_SCA] Hand kissing Re: medieval Court Etiquette

  • Marianne Perdomo
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 2009
      2009/9/8 <lariandrober>

      > ---- Marianne Perdomo wrote:
      > > ;) Somebody should turn this into a film trilogy, as it's really a fun
      > book.
      > > Leonor
      > This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirant_lo_Blanc_(film)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirant_lo_Blanc_%28film%29>?

      No, a properly made one ;)

      To be fair, I was eager to watch that but after reading the reviews I
      decided I'd wait until I could catch it on for free or just about... :( but
      then I haven't managed.
      It really needs the action scenes: the tourneys, the battles,... which I
      understand this lacks completely. It's a part action, romance and comedy
      which makes it balanced, and also establishes Tirant as a proper hero.

      Cheers!

      Leonor

    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 8, 2009
        On Sep 6, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Melisende Fitzwalter wrote:

        > Greetings Lord Matthew,
        >
        > The replies here have pretty much illustrated the change of fashion
        > of address towards Kings and Queens of England over the ages from
        > Your Grace to Your Majesty. Just one small detail which you might
        > find interesting. As far as my research on this matter has gone, I
        > believe that it was Richard II who first insisted on the title Your
        > Majesty, whereas his antecedents had always been happy with Your
        > Grace. Similarly he was also the first King who had felt the need
        > to have a bodyguard about his person. The Barons were not best
        > pleased with this new title as they saw it as an attempt to dominate
        > and usurp their traditional freedoms. Certain other things he did
        > during his reign did not help his cause either!

        I'd love to know your source for this. I, too, have a Ricardian
        persona and always enjoy finding new info to round out my knowledge.
        Thanks!
        --
        Auf wiedersehen!
        Michael