Re: [Authentic_SCA] Hand kissing Re: medieval Court Etiquette

  • Marianne Perdomo
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
      2009/9/7 Ann Catelli wrote:

      > At least in some cases, the inferior was kissing not the hand of the
      > superior, but his ring of office.

      Yet another twist... in the 15th c. Spanish chivalric novel Tirant lo Blanc,
      the hero wants to kiss the princess's hand, but she refuses out of courtesy.
      He gets her ladies to plead for him and finally the lady allows this... but
      she doesn't let him kiss the "outside" of her hand, as that would be a sign
      of lordship, but the "inside" of the hand instead, as that's a sign of
      love...

      While a novel, this is very reallistic fiction. At one point Tirant, who's
      tourneying in Great Britain, goes back to his parents' home in Gaul because
      he needs more money before travelling to a challenge in Scorland. He often
      wins battles by his wits, too, though of course he's an amazing fighter, too
      ;) Somebody should turn this into a film trilogy, as it's really a fun book.

      Leonor

    • lariandrobert@fuse.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
        ---- Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...> wrote:
        > ;) Somebody should turn this into a film trilogy,

        This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirant_lo_Blanc_(film) ?
        Malcolm
      • Marianne Perdomo
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 8, 2009
          2009/9/8 <lariandrober>

          > ---- Marianne Perdomo wrote:
          > > ;) Somebody should turn this into a film trilogy, as it's really a fun
          > book.
          > > Leonor
          > This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirant_lo_Blanc_(film)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirant_lo_Blanc_%28film%29>?

          No, a properly made one ;)

          To be fair, I was eager to watch that but after reading the reviews I
          decided I'd wait until I could catch it on for free or just about... :( but
          then I haven't managed.
          It really needs the action scenes: the tourneys, the battles,... which I
          understand this lacks completely. It's a part action, romance and comedy
          which makes it balanced, and also establishes Tirant as a proper hero.

          Cheers!

          Leonor

        • Michael Hurley
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 8, 2009
            On Sep 6, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Melisende Fitzwalter wrote:

            > Greetings Lord Matthew,
            >
            > The replies here have pretty much illustrated the change of fashion
            > of address towards Kings and Queens of England over the ages from
            > Your Grace to Your Majesty. Just one small detail which you might
            > find interesting. As far as my research on this matter has gone, I
            > believe that it was Richard II who first insisted on the title Your
            > Majesty, whereas his antecedents had always been happy with Your
            > Grace. Similarly he was also the first King who had felt the need
            > to have a bodyguard about his person. The Barons were not best
            > pleased with this new title as they saw it as an attempt to dominate
            > and usurp their traditional freedoms. Certain other things he did
            > during his reign did not help his cause either!

            I'd love to know your source for this. I, too, have a Ricardian
            persona and always enjoy finding new info to round out my knowledge.
            Thanks!
            --
            Auf wiedersehen!
            Michael