Re: [Authentic_SCA] Questions about 12th C artwork

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2009
      >Looking at portraits of the Kings of England, for instance, the
      >earliest ones that look like they were meant to show a true likeness
      >might be in the range of Henry IV through VI (1400-1450 or so).

      I had been told that the first to have a realistic portrait was
      Richard II in the late 14C; portraits that I've seen of him certainly
      looks realistic.

      Cheers, Folo
    • Donata Bonacorsi
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2009
        On Aug 27, 2009, at 6:14 AM, Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Complicating this picture, of course, is that before approximately the
        > 15th century, a lot of people were depicted more as idealizations of
        > their roles than as actual "portraits" or what we would consider
        > "likenesses." The characters in a tapestry are usually identified by
        > name labels, for instance, because in most cases there really wasn't
        > an effort made to make King Henry look like the real King Henry (who
        > few people would ever see in person anyway). So the designers/weavers/
        > embroiderers would draw a picture of an Ideal Kingly Person and label
        > it "Henricus."

        Unless you look outside of England.

        The donor portrait in the Arena Chapel by Giotto, it dates to 1305. It
        can be argued that the Renaissance started with Giotto, Dante, and
        Petrach for some in Florence and other city-states in what is now the
        country of Italy. (there are more examples, but Giotto is what came to
        mind)

        Maestra Donata Bonacorsi,
        West

      • Ann Franchi
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2009
          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to those members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you do not top post. Please trim portions of previous posts that do not require repetition. Thank you.
          Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

          (REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED)

          I recently acquired a book on the hsitory of Caricature.
          Interestingly, early caricatures were also labeled with the name of
          the person being caricatured, even when it was an extremely realistic
          depiction. This was because, in the absence of TV, most people would
          not be familiar with the persons enough to recognise them.

          Anitra