Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Elizabethan Breeches and Stuff

  • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
      Personally, I like "slops" -- wide legged breeches, frequently mid-calf or lower, meant to be rolled up past the knee when working.
      The ancestor of "Bell-Bottoms"

      Kass McGann at ReconstructingHistory.com has an "Elizabethan Sea Dogs" pattern that has them as an option, but really the pattern is a pretty simple alteration of "normal" breeches.

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
        As far as tights are concerned, like I said before, buying anything is right out for the time being. Which is why I didn't by Kass's 16th Century common Man's patterns. Can only use patterns and fabrics on hand. Which also precludes the long slops. Don't have that much of any single fabric on hand. And one of the reasons my wife's not making the pluderhose pattern I have from RH.

        Now that I know that below the knee is period accurate, it's no problem. I have a pattern for above the knee breeches that we'll just lengthen. Already have stockings. Because I'm 6'4", they're not as over the knee as they should be, but they're long enough if I can get the breeches below the knee.

        I wish she were adept at drafting patterns. I'm working on getting her to go after that particular skill set. It's more an issue of confidence than anything. But I'll get her there. ;)

        Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. the crisis has been averted =)

        thanks,
        Christopher
      • Ann Franchi
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
          (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

          I didn't think I'd be able to draft patterns either. A couple of
          months ago, I wouldn't have known where to start. But thanks to my
          teacher, Mistress Aspasia, I am not only creating patterns for myself
          but showing a friend how to do it.

          And if I can do it .....

          Anitra
          (I sew by hand because my sewing machine hates me ...)
        • Dianne
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
            I wish she were adept at drafting patterns. I'm working on getting her to go after that particular skill set. It's more an issue of confidence than anything. But I'll get her there. ;)>>

            Or YOU could learn to draft patterns. You might find you enjoy it. :-)

            Laurensa

          • ren_junkie
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
              Drafting patterns for armour is quite enough for me, thank you ;). I don't really enjoy patterning all that much. And I can't STAND doing it for fabric. Stuff just doesn't sit still...lol

              I know she could do it. It's convincing her to go out and learn it rom someone....that's the tricky bit.

              Thanks,
              Christopher