Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Elizabethan Breeches and Stuff

  • Ann Franchi
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
      MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
      (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

      In the US there is a chain of stores called Danskins.

      They make and sell their own brand of dancing tights - I am sure they
      would have men's tights as well.

      They might even be online. Everyone else seems to be ......

      Anitra

      Try this page:

      http://www.discountdance.com/spframe_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_DANSKIN_p1.html&camp=G_Danskin&ovmkt=VHVCGLKSIBH10ARL7NEQ2I8B0O&gclid=CO7hpZzjlpwCFQ6jagodfnlSdA

      MT11 looks like something workable .............
    • Ann Franchi
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
        (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

        I also plugged 'men's tights' into the search engine and got a number
        of good hits.

        http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/MensTights.htm

        http://www.comfilon.com/catalogoptights.asp

        Anitra
      • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
          Personally, I like "slops" -- wide legged breeches, frequently mid-calf or lower, meant to be rolled up past the knee when working.
          The ancestor of "Bell-Bottoms"

          Kass McGann at ReconstructingHistory.com has an "Elizabethan Sea Dogs" pattern that has them as an option, but really the pattern is a pretty simple alteration of "normal" breeches.

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
            As far as tights are concerned, like I said before, buying anything is right out for the time being. Which is why I didn't by Kass's 16th Century common Man's patterns. Can only use patterns and fabrics on hand. Which also precludes the long slops. Don't have that much of any single fabric on hand. And one of the reasons my wife's not making the pluderhose pattern I have from RH.

            Now that I know that below the knee is period accurate, it's no problem. I have a pattern for above the knee breeches that we'll just lengthen. Already have stockings. Because I'm 6'4", they're not as over the knee as they should be, but they're long enough if I can get the breeches below the knee.

            I wish she were adept at drafting patterns. I'm working on getting her to go after that particular skill set. It's more an issue of confidence than anything. But I'll get her there. ;)

            Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. the crisis has been averted =)

            thanks,
            Christopher
          • Ann Franchi
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
              MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
              (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

              I didn't think I'd be able to draft patterns either. A couple of
              months ago, I wouldn't have known where to start. But thanks to my
              teacher, Mistress Aspasia, I am not only creating patterns for myself
              but showing a friend how to do it.

              And if I can do it .....

              Anitra
              (I sew by hand because my sewing machine hates me ...)
            • Dianne
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                I wish she were adept at drafting patterns. I'm working on getting her to go after that particular skill set. It's more an issue of confidence than anything. But I'll get her there. ;)>>

                Or YOU could learn to draft patterns. You might find you enjoy it. :-)

                Laurensa

              • ren_junkie
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
                  Drafting patterns for armour is quite enough for me, thank you ;). I don't really enjoy patterning all that much. And I can't STAND doing it for fabric. Stuff just doesn't sit still...lol

                  I know she could do it. It's convincing her to go out and learn it rom someone....that's the tricky bit.

                  Thanks,
                  Christopher