Re: [Authentic_SCA] Elizabethan Breeches and Stuff

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 8, 2009
      Christopher wrote:
      > My wonderful wife is making me a pair of breeches (venetians)...
      > This is good, but I've a problem or two...
      >
      > Firstly, Elizabethan breeches (common breeches) stop above the knee, yes?

      The Venetians i've seen are below the knee They sometimes extend to
      the upper calf, but are worn fastened loosely just below the knee.
      You don't want the band to be too tight, just enough to keep the
      pants from drooping over your calf.

      > So, what did they wear on their legs below that? I assume
      >stockings, but I would have to have
      > a pair custom made. I'm 6'4", and the over-the-knee (ha!) stockings
      >I have bunch behind my
      > knees, cutting off the blood unless I roll them down. I though
      >about chauses, but I'm just not
      > sure that's gonna look right.

      With Venetians below the knee, you won't need over-the-knee socks.
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
        (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

        In the US there is a chain of stores called Danskins.

        They make and sell their own brand of dancing tights - I am sure they
        would have men's tights as well.

        They might even be online. Everyone else seems to be ......

        Anitra

        Try this page:

        http://www.discountdance.com/spframe_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_DANSKIN_p1.html&camp=G_Danskin&ovmkt=VHVCGLKSIBH10ARL7NEQ2I8B0O&gclid=CO7hpZzjlpwCFQ6jagodfnlSdA

        MT11 looks like something workable .............
      • Ann Franchi
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
          (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

          I also plugged 'men's tights' into the search engine and got a number
          of good hits.

          http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/MensTights.htm

          http://www.comfilon.com/catalogoptights.asp

          Anitra
        • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
            Personally, I like "slops" -- wide legged breeches, frequently mid-calf or lower, meant to be rolled up past the knee when working.
            The ancestor of "Bell-Bottoms"

            Kass McGann at ReconstructingHistory.com has an "Elizabethan Sea Dogs" pattern that has them as an option, but really the pattern is a pretty simple alteration of "normal" breeches.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
              As far as tights are concerned, like I said before, buying anything is right out for the time being. Which is why I didn't by Kass's 16th Century common Man's patterns. Can only use patterns and fabrics on hand. Which also precludes the long slops. Don't have that much of any single fabric on hand. And one of the reasons my wife's not making the pluderhose pattern I have from RH.

              Now that I know that below the knee is period accurate, it's no problem. I have a pattern for above the knee breeches that we'll just lengthen. Already have stockings. Because I'm 6'4", they're not as over the knee as they should be, but they're long enough if I can get the breeches below the knee.

              I wish she were adept at drafting patterns. I'm working on getting her to go after that particular skill set. It's more an issue of confidence than anything. But I'll get her there. ;)

              Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. the crisis has been averted =)

              thanks,
              Christopher
            • Ann Franchi
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
                (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

                I didn't think I'd be able to draft patterns either. A couple of
                months ago, I wouldn't have known where to start. But thanks to my
                teacher, Mistress Aspasia, I am not only creating patterns for myself
                but showing a friend how to do it.

                And if I can do it .....

                Anitra
                (I sew by hand because my sewing machine hates me ...)
              • Dianne
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                  I wish she were adept at drafting patterns. I'm working on getting her to go after that particular skill set. It's more an issue of confidence than anything. But I'll get her there. ;)>>

                  Or YOU could learn to draft patterns. You might find you enjoy it. :-)

                  Laurensa

                • ren_junkie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
                    Drafting patterns for armour is quite enough for me, thank you ;). I don't really enjoy patterning all that much. And I can't STAND doing it for fabric. Stuff just doesn't sit still...lol

                    I know she could do it. It's convincing her to go out and learn it rom someone....that's the tricky bit.

                    Thanks,
                    Christopher