Re: Seeking Spanish info

  • Mark Calderwood
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
      > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
      > > several poems for guests to read.
      >Wow, you're going all out! Congratulations on putting together something so
      >cool.

      Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
      new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
      Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
      think are very well worth it.

      For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
      for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
      I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
      diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
      by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
      a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
      mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
      etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
      tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
      serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
      Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
      non-period middle eastern items!

      As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
      zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
      through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
      puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
      rest of the preperations!

      >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on? If it's near the San
      >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
      >sure. :)

      It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
      eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

      Giles
    • Beth
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2001
        This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

        Ragnel

        Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
        > > several
        poems for guests to read.
        >Wow, you're going all out!
        Congratulations on putting together something so
        >cool.

        Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
        new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
        Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
        think are very well worth it.

        For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
        for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
        I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
        diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
        by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
        a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
        mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
        etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
        tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
        serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
        Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
        non-period middle eastern items!

        As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
        zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
        through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
        puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
        rest  of the preperations!

        >Hey,
        where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
        >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform,
        I'm
        >sure. :)

        It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
        eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

        Giles

        This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

      • Stephen Higa
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
          > Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
          > new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
          > Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
          > think are very well worth it.

          I've never been to a themed event, and I don't recall ever hearing of any
          where I am (in the West). However, a Maghrebi persona and I have been
          fantasizing about some day putting up a pavillion at an event for Medieval
          Spanish persona play, discussion of philosophy/science/theology/litereature,
          poetry reading, etc. If we ever do that, I'll certainly ask you for advice!

          > For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
          > for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
          > I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
          > diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
          > by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
          > a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
          > mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
          > etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
          > tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
          > serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
          > Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
          > non-period middle eastern items!

          Ahhhhh...that sounds so very cool! You've really done your research. I
          especially love the re-created pottery!

          > As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
          > zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
          > through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
          > puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
          > rest of the preperations!

          [writhing with frustration over not being able to attend]

          > It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
          > eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

          Umm, okay... Rats! Why do you have to live in Australia??

          Moshe
          Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
          menhs en cort que de belh saber
          de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
          hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
          e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

          --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
        • Stephen Higa
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
            Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info aCtually, there was recently a discussion on the Medieval Spain eGroup as to the periodness (a word?) of "flamenco" dancing.  If anybody's interested, I'll forward some of the info. :)

            ----------
            From: "Beth" <ragnel@...>
            To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info
            Date: Fri, Feb 2, 2001, 6:05 PM

            This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

            http://seleone.webjump.com/andalusia.htm

            Ragnel

            > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
            > > several poems for guests to read.
            >Wow, you're going all out!  Congratulations on putting together something so
            >cool.

            Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
            new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
            Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
            think are very well worth it.

            For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
            for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
            I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
            diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
            by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
            a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
            mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
            etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
            tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
            serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
            Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
            non-period middle eastern items!

            As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
            zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
            through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
            puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
            rest  of the preperations!

            >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
            >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
            >sure. :)

            It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
            eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

            Giles

            This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            www..com