Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Names for a Tunic, was:Missing my "Tudor Tailor"....

  • Marianne Perdomo
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 27 12:25 AM
      2009/7/27 quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...>

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sawyer Dooley"
      > <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:
      > <<snip>>
      > The unfortunate thing is that there is no handy word that differentiates
      > between properly cut period tunics and the SCA abomination "lay down a dress
      > shirt on some folded fabric and trace" t-tunic. Drives me up a freaking
      > TREE. You may have noticed...

      How about just calling it a "tunic" or "medieval tunic"? Good old latin word
      without the modern "T-" and should be ereasily understood in context.

      Cheers!

      Leonor

    • CLEY
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 27 8:57 AM
        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
        (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

        Marianne Perdomo wrote:
        One is real clothing. ;-)
      • Elizabeth Walpole
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 27 4:35 PM
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 28 1:09 AM

            > One is real clothing. ;-)

            Yes, but "real clothing" is ambiguous unless in context, and then "real" may
            be a word too much. It'd just be your clothing. :) Or perhaps your everyday
            clothing, best clothing, etc...

            But if we're talking of methods of construction, details, etc. it makes
            sense to use specialized terms that are meaningful to us now: "burgundian
            dress", "corded saya", "St. Louis shirt",...

            My personal opinion, anyway... :)

            Cheers!

            Leonor

          • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28 5:22 PM
              > One of them has described the clothing he'd like to go for--the nice
              > big Tudor look (Henry VIII, and the famous portrait of "The
              > Ambassadors"). My problem is that my copy of "The Tudor Tailor" is
              > missing-- I'd prefer not to buy another copy, if
              > possible, and being overseas, I don't have the same access to
              > libraries I would back home.

              Perhaps the gentleman needs to fund his own hobby. If he's that set on having Tudor, he ought to be willing to buy the book. I can well understand newbies not being that committed, but there's no reason for you to show more commitment than him by buying another book. I don't know about any free info online, but I wouldn't know even if there was. I can't sew that well!!

              Nawojka
            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28 7:08 PM
                On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Rosie (aka
                Nawojka)<Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                > Perhaps the gentleman needs to fund his own hobby. If he's that set on
                > having Tudor, he ought to be willing to buy the book. I can well understand
                > newbies not being that committed, but there's no reason for you to show more
                > commitment than him by buying another book. I don't know about any free info
                > online, but I wouldn't know even if there was. I can't sew that well!!

                I *did* buy the book--it is in storage back home because my current
                apartment didn't have room for my entire library. If I had it with
                me, I could easily reference it and help this gentleman out. And I'm
                trying to encourage a newcomer in a country where a decent wage can be
                less than $1/hour, though materials and labor are cheap.

                He's already shelling out money for a membership (which, due to
                economies of scale, effectively costs him about twice what we pay in
                other countries, if not more), armour, clothing, time, etc. All this
                to play with a group of maybe 5 to 10 people where they likely won't
                see any hint of a royal crown until they are big enough for a
                principality. They are very enthusiastic and more than willing to
                help, but this isn't a matter of commitment on his part.

                -EGL
              • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 29 4:04 PM
                  I'm
                  > trying to encourage a newcomer in a country where a decent wage can be
                  > less than $1/hour, though materials and labor are cheap.
                  >
                  > He's already shelling out money for a membership (which, due to
                  > economies of scale, effectively costs him about twice what we pay in
                  > other countries, if not more), armour, clothing, time, etc. All this
                  > to play with a group of maybe 5 to 10 people where they likely won't
                  > see any hint of a royal crown until they are big enough for a
                  > principality. They are very enthusiastic and more than willing to
                  > help, but this isn't a matter of commitment on his part.

                  My appologies. I don't suppose you could raise enough for a group copy if everyone put in? It seems to be cheapest at Better World Books, from my quick search.

                  Nawojka
                • Ann Franchi
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 30 10:07 AM
                    Caveat Emptor - a personal experience.

                    I bought a book from Better World Books.

                    It didn't arrive in the time stated.

                    I emailed them about a week later - they said 'Oh, wait another week
                    to see if it comes in.'

                    It didn't.

                    I emailed them again - they (rather grudgingly, I thought) refunded my money.

                    Disclaimers;

                    1) I paid with an Amazon.com gift certificate that I won from Monster.com
                    2) This is the _only_ time I have dealt with Better World Books - YMMV

                    Anitra

                    --
                    "Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold
                    thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 31 8:33 AM
                      Imange, if you can, how likely that would be for you, if it cost $500 to 1000~!
                      Labhaoise