Re: Names for a Tunic, was:Missing my "Tudor Tailor"....

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 27, 2009
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sawyer Dooley" <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:
      <<snip>>
      The unfortunate thing is that there is no handy word that differentiates between properly cut period tunics and the SCA abomination "lay down a dress shirt on some folded fabric and trace" t-tunic. Drives me up a freaking TREE. You may have noticed...

      > Tasha

      Kyrtle perhaps?
      (Of course, there is the problem then, that the word 'kirtle/kyrtle' has different meanings attached, depending on the century and what have you.) I've also seen online that there seems to be some sort of fine distinction between a _t-tunic_ where you cut around a T-shape, and a _tunic_, where you cut and piece. But I may be mistaken, and it probably varies according to your local costuming population.

      ~Asfridhr
    • Marianne Perdomo
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 27, 2009
        2009/7/27 quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...>

        > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sawyer Dooley"
        > <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:
        > <<snip>>
        > The unfortunate thing is that there is no handy word that differentiates
        > between properly cut period tunics and the SCA abomination "lay down a dress
        > shirt on some folded fabric and trace" t-tunic. Drives me up a freaking
        > TREE. You may have noticed...

        How about just calling it a "tunic" or "medieval tunic"? Good old latin word
        without the modern "T-" and should be ereasily understood in context.

        Cheers!

        Leonor

      • CLEY
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 27, 2009
          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to the many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post (stick your response to the top of one or more messages that came before it). Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Timezone Moderator.
          (REPEATED MESSAGES DELETED)

          Marianne Perdomo wrote:
          One is real clothing. ;-)
        • Elizabeth Walpole
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 27, 2009
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28, 2009

              > One is real clothing. ;-)

              Yes, but "real clothing" is ambiguous unless in context, and then "real" may
              be a word too much. It'd just be your clothing. :) Or perhaps your everyday
              clothing, best clothing, etc...

              But if we're talking of methods of construction, details, etc. it makes
              sense to use specialized terms that are meaningful to us now: "burgundian
              dress", "corded saya", "St. Louis shirt",...

              My personal opinion, anyway... :)

              Cheers!

              Leonor

            • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28, 2009
                > One of them has described the clothing he'd like to go for--the nice
                > big Tudor look (Henry VIII, and the famous portrait of "The
                > Ambassadors"). My problem is that my copy of "The Tudor Tailor" is
                > missing-- I'd prefer not to buy another copy, if
                > possible, and being overseas, I don't have the same access to
                > libraries I would back home.

                Perhaps the gentleman needs to fund his own hobby. If he's that set on having Tudor, he ought to be willing to buy the book. I can well understand newbies not being that committed, but there's no reason for you to show more commitment than him by buying another book. I don't know about any free info online, but I wouldn't know even if there was. I can't sew that well!!

                Nawojka
              • JL Badgley
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28, 2009
                  On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Rosie (aka
                  Nawojka)<Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                  > Perhaps the gentleman needs to fund his own hobby. If he's that set on
                  > having Tudor, he ought to be willing to buy the book. I can well understand
                  > newbies not being that committed, but there's no reason for you to show more
                  > commitment than him by buying another book. I don't know about any free info
                  > online, but I wouldn't know even if there was. I can't sew that well!!

                  I *did* buy the book--it is in storage back home because my current
                  apartment didn't have room for my entire library. If I had it with
                  me, I could easily reference it and help this gentleman out. And I'm
                  trying to encourage a newcomer in a country where a decent wage can be
                  less than $1/hour, though materials and labor are cheap.

                  He's already shelling out money for a membership (which, due to
                  economies of scale, effectively costs him about twice what we pay in
                  other countries, if not more), armour, clothing, time, etc. All this
                  to play with a group of maybe 5 to 10 people where they likely won't
                  see any hint of a royal crown until they are big enough for a
                  principality. They are very enthusiastic and more than willing to
                  help, but this isn't a matter of commitment on his part.

                  -EGL
                • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 29, 2009
                    I'm
                    > trying to encourage a newcomer in a country where a decent wage can be
                    > less than $1/hour, though materials and labor are cheap.
                    >
                    > He's already shelling out money for a membership (which, due to
                    > economies of scale, effectively costs him about twice what we pay in
                    > other countries, if not more), armour, clothing, time, etc. All this
                    > to play with a group of maybe 5 to 10 people where they likely won't
                    > see any hint of a royal crown until they are big enough for a
                    > principality. They are very enthusiastic and more than willing to
                    > help, but this isn't a matter of commitment on his part.

                    My appologies. I don't suppose you could raise enough for a group copy if everyone put in? It seems to be cheapest at Better World Books, from my quick search.

                    Nawojka
                  • Ann Franchi
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 30, 2009
                      Caveat Emptor - a personal experience.

                      I bought a book from Better World Books.

                      It didn't arrive in the time stated.

                      I emailed them about a week later - they said 'Oh, wait another week
                      to see if it comes in.'

                      It didn't.

                      I emailed them again - they (rather grudgingly, I thought) refunded my money.

                      Disclaimers;

                      1) I paid with an Amazon.com gift certificate that I won from Monster.com
                      2) This is the _only_ time I have dealt with Better World Books - YMMV

                      Anitra

                      --
                      "Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold
                      thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 31, 2009
                        Imange, if you can, how likely that would be for you, if it cost $500 to 1000~!
                        Labhaoise