Fw: Wattle Fences

  • Jack Graham
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2009
      You asked> Does anyone know what they make these dang things out of for the

      reconstructed sites and such?

      It is my impression that withies were grown in a coppice where the stumps were regularly trimmed so they would sucker and grow more withies for cooping, wattling, and the like.See http://www.coppice.org.uk/background.htm for details or the following for generality:

      with·y (w, wth)
      adj.
      1. Made of or as flexible as withes; tough.
      2. Wiry and agile.
      n. pl. with·ies
      1. A rope or band made of withes.
      2.
      a. A long flexible twig, as that of an osier.
      b. A tree or shrub having such twigs.

      [withe + -y. N., from Middle English withye, willow branch, from Old English wthig, willow; see wei- in Indo-European roots.]
      The
      American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
      copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published
      by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

      Yours Faithfully,Friar Jak