Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: wriggle room

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 7, 2009
      On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM,
      neeveofredriver<neeveofredriver@...> wrote:

      > So, good Gentles, what say you? How do each of you go about determining the
      > document-ablity of your own persona, garb, artifacts and all?

      Lots and lots of reading. And museum-going. And image viewing.

      I start with trying to get a picture of the timeframe I'm going for,
      and study in order to better understand what it should look like.

      After that, I look primarily for evidence of things during that
      timeframe, though I may also look earlier.

      I generally avoid looking later unless there is a source that is
      describing earlier information, or something that shows a trend.

      For example, if I find fabric X with pattern Y before my timeframe
      (but not during), but can also see that it has survived to after my
      timeframe, then I can use the two points to make a reasonable
      assumption that the pattern continued to exist in the timeframe I'm
      interested in, barring information that would contradict this (such as
      a sumptuary law specifically prohibiting it). Likewise, if I see X
      garment, but the only construction information is post the period in
      question, I won't hesitate to use the later information to make the
      earlier garment.

      For food I often look at post-cutoff sources, but I analyze them
      critically based on earlier evidence. If you find a 1640 recipe for a
      food that is mentioned (but not otherwise described) in 1590, then
      would it not be reasonable to assume that they are the same, barring
      contrary evidence?

      So I guess what all this means is that I believe post-cutoff sources
      can be used, provided you've first done your homework regarding your
      primary time period to be able to understand whether something is
      plausible. You cannot just arbitrarily make that decision, though,
      and you can in no wise determine that X number of years after a
      particular date means it is appropriate. A 1601 painting could be
      showing clothing that just came into fashion the summer of 1601, for
      all you know, unless you've done your research.

      -E. Godric Logan
    • Cynthia J Ley
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 7, 2009
        On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:03:35 -0700 Janis James <seja02@...>
        writes:

        > Researching time for items has always been interesting but often
        > not conclusive. For example: needlework, if we know a particular
        > type was done in (x) century, we should also know that it likely
        > didn't spring into use instantly, but was used and developed over
        > time and place. We don't have the extant examples to show this
        > so we can only surmise and use conjecture as to when it started.

        Hi all. Sorry about the earlier top post--one of my e-mail servers seems
        to have more problems with interjecture then the other.

        > Of course we do have a few examples - like when blackwork was
        > brought to England from Spain. However, we can't be absolutely
        > certain how and when it actually started in Spain. We just know
        > when it flourished in Spain.

        And even the first statement is not entirely correct. It's reasonably
        fair to say that someone famous made it popular (Catharine of Aragon),
        but we don't really know how far back its roots go, and it seems to have
        at least some foundation in the non-representational arts of the Moors.
        All this by way of emphasizing what Sine said. :-) A lot of times all we
        have are pieces of the puzzle, and a lot of times pieces are missing.
        Enter Ye Educated Guess.

        > In all the research I've worked on over the years I have forced
        > myself to allow a little given time at either end of the generally
        > accepted time-frame to allow for this. I suspect this is true of
        > many things through time other than just needlework. It would
        > be nice of course if we could be absolutely certain such as with
        > actual dated inventions, so I generally accept "wriggle room" unless
        > it can be proven to a set date.

        And even then, there are usually antecedents in one form or another.

        Arlys

        > Cheers, Sine

        You're never too old to date. Senior Dating. Click Here.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTQbQWKw2XfL3YDIqUaNc6a8msZ4R5inJXCRhxe8ZuP8k232gYrOjm/
      • Jeff gedney
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 7, 2009
          Well, the thing is, If you can legitimately show that it is likely that a
          item from out of period is logically consistent with being in period, then
          you can "work the fuzzy"...
          For example if you have name reference that is a church record of a burial
          of a 44 year old in 1625, then it is logical to assume that the name was
          given in period...
          (but this is not reliable, names elide and change their usage, a name given
          at birth may change to a more modern form just by vernacular usage and the
          spelling standardization that widely took place in early modern England in
          late 16th- early 17th century.

          For my money,
          if you are making the claim that a characteristically 17th century clothing
          (like a buffecoat) is "an attempt" at PRE-seventeenth century, and
          you can't document that it is preseventeenth, you fail that standard.
          I don't care how cool you think you look in it.

          > We can know by historical records and archeological finds what did
          > exist but we can we be absolutely certain about what movers and shakers
          > did NOT experiment with (including failures) given the general
          > technologies and materials available to them at the time?

          Its functionally impossible to prove that they did NOT experiment with
          clothes and such....
          For that matter it is also impossible to prove that some genius was not
          experimenting with nuclear fission, or automotive vehicles, or antigravity.

          So as far as I am able to judge, the line has to be what we can prove that
          they DID do, not what they Might have done.

          > So, good Gentles, what say you? How do each of you go about
          > determining the document-ablity of your own persona, garb, artifacts
          > and all?

          I research, use good sources, juried, where possible, with clear
          documentation that I can trace back to originals.
          I take period iconography with a grain of salt, and prefer to have that
          backed up with textual or better yet artefactual survivals...

          THEN I decide what I am going to make.
          I don't decide what I want and then try to "justify" it to period.
          That way leads to bad scholarship.

          Capt Elias
        • bronwynmgn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
            In a message dated 7/7/2009 5:51:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            marianne@... writes:

            <<Am I the only one who didn't think of the SCA cut-off date on reading
            this?

            I didn't in relation to myself, because my persona is firmly based in the
            12th century and the cut-off date is over 400 years in the future for me :-)
            I did think of the cut-off date on reading the inital post.

            <<I have certainly had this problem... I do many things just because I like
            them but I try to place most of my efforts on being Spanish from the 1470s,
            as a kind of personal challenge. Yet for many things I can't get info
            between say, 1450s and 1490s. >>

            There's not a lot of 12th century information, either. For clothing, we
            have a lot of statues and some illuminations that are more or less stylized,
            and a very few extant pieces such as coronation robes or ecclesiatical
            clothing.
            For cooking, there is one Anglo-Norman cookery collection that is close in
            time, but I'm not sure it's been published in it's entirety yet - I do have
            a photocopy of some of the recipes. Otherwise I'm limited to mostly 14th
            and 15th century sources, but I won't go further than that. I also tend to
            limit myself to Northern European sources. There's the Harpestrang cookery
            manuscript which is also 13th century, I think, and exists in several northern
            European versions (German, Norwegian I think, etc) but which is probably a
            copy of a more southerly-based text based on the ingredients used.

            Brangwayna Morgan
            Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
            Lancaster, PA
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
              In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:28:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              neeveofredriver@... writes:

              <<So, good Gentles, what say you? How do each of you go about determining
              the document-ablity of your own persona, garb, artifacts and all? >>

              For me, it's important that it be as close as I can get it to my time
              period and country, and I like to have at least one solid point of data for what
              I'm doing. There aren't really many for cooking, so I have to go further
              afield for solid data points. For clothing, I have lots of data points, but
              not many that give me a lot of detail on construction, so I need to work with
              interpretations on those, and decide which interpretations I think are
              accurate.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:51:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                tatsushu@... writes:

                <<For food I often look at post-cutoff sources, but I analyze them
                critically based on earlier evidence. If you find a 1640 recipe for a
                food that is mentioned (but not otherwise described) in 1590, then
                would it not be reasonable to assume that they are the same, barring
                contrary evidence?>>

                Similar yes, but quite possibly not the same. After all, we have lots of
                contemporary manuscripts which list a recipe of the same name in each, but
                the recipes themselves can be anything from slight variations of each other to
                completely different. We also have evidence that a dish can be listed by
                the same name in an earlier and a later source and have evolved significantly
                in between. So assuming that a dish named Bukenade in one source and a
                dish named Bukenade in another source are the same dish is a faulty premise.
                It may be the closest you can get, but you shouldn't fool yourself that the
                person who referred to it 50 years earlier means exactly what the person who
                wrote it down did.

                Not to mention the fact that some period recipes are so vague that it's
                very possible to make entirely different dishes from the same recipe in the
                same source. Bukenade's a good example; one recipe I have for it basically
                says to take good meat, whatever you have, boil it with beef, and add onions
                and spices. I've done chicken and beef, lamb and beef, and pork and beef, and
                a variety of different spice comibinations depending on what is usually
                used with the "other" meat I've chosen, so each result has been quite different
                from the others.

                Brangwayna Morgan
                Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                Lancaster, PA
              • Heather Rose Jones
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                  On Jul 8, 2009, at 4:11 AM, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:51:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > tatsushu@... writes:
                  >
                  > <<For food I often look at post-cutoff sources, but I analyze them
                  > critically based on earlier evidence. If you find a 1640 recipe for a
                  > food that is mentioned (but not otherwise described) in 1590, then
                  > would it not be reasonable to assume that they are the same, barring
                  > contrary evidence?>>
                  >
                  > Similar yes, but quite possibly not the same. After all, we have
                  > lots of
                  > contemporary manuscripts which list a recipe of the same name in
                  > each, but
                  > the recipes themselves can be anything from slight variations of
                  > each other to
                  > completely different. We also have evidence that a dish can be
                  > listed by
                  > the same name in an earlier and a later source and have evolved
                  > significantly
                  > in between. So assuming that a dish named Bukenade in one source
                  > and a
                  > dish named Bukenade in another source are the same dish is a faulty
                  > premise.

                  My favorite example of this problem is how to interpret the Welsh
                  clothing term "pais". The word shows up as a description of a specific
                  garment continuously from the earliest written sources (the Book of
                  Aneurin) to the present day. But the specific nature of the garment
                  being referred to changes enormously over that time. Even if you had a
                  picture of a garment in century X with an arrow pointing to it saying
                  "this is a 'pais'", that wouldn't tell you what the word referred to
                  in century X-1 or X+1.

                  Tangwystyl
                • JL Badgley
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                    On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Heather Rose
                    Jones<heather.jones@...> wrote:

                    > On Jul 8, 2009, at 4:11 AM, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                    >
                    >> In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:51:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    >> tatsushu@... writes:
                    >>
                    >> <<For food I often look at post-cutoff sources, but I analyze them
                    >> critically based on earlier evidence. If you find a 1640 recipe for a
                    >> food that is mentioned (but not otherwise described) in 1590, then
                    >> would it not be reasonable to assume that they are the same, barring
                    >> contrary evidence?>>
                    >>
                    >> Similar yes, but quite possibly not the same. After all, we have
                    >> lots of
                    >> contemporary manuscripts which list a recipe of the same name in
                    >> each, but
                    >> the recipes themselves can be anything from slight variations of
                    >> each other to
                    >> completely different. We also have evidence that a dish can be
                    >> listed by
                    >> the same name in an earlier and a later source and have evolved
                    >> significantly
                    >> in between. So assuming that a dish named Bukenade in one source
                    >> and a
                    >> dish named Bukenade in another source are the same dish is a faulty
                    >> premise.
                    >>

                    > My favorite example of this problem is how to interpret the Welsh
                    > clothing term "pais". The word shows up as a description of a specific
                    > garment continuously from the earliest written sources (the Book of
                    > Aneurin) to the present day. But the specific nature of the garment
                    > being referred to changes enormously over that time. Even if you had a
                    > picture of a garment in century X with an arrow pointing to it saying
                    > "this is a 'pais'", that wouldn't tell you what the word referred to
                    > in century X-1 or X+1.

                    All true, but then again, this is where we get into the "reasonable
                    attempt"--we get as close as we can justify to the truth of the
                    matter, and don't ever try to adjudicate things in a vacuum.

                    -E. G. Logan
                  • Chris Laning
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                      On Jul 7, 2009, at 2:50 PM, Marianne Perdomo wrote:

                      > I have certainly had this problem... I do many things just because
                      > I like
                      > them but I try to place most of my efforts on being Spanish from
                      > the 1470s,
                      > as a kind of personal challenge. Yet for many things I can't get info
                      > between say, 1450s and 1490s. Certainly there seems to be less useful
                      > paintings available from the 1470s. So I often try to at least
                      > determine if
                      > something was done before and after - in that case I'm quite happy
                      > to assume
                      > it didn't cease to be done in between. That's mostly for clothing
                      > which
                      > changes by decade, it seems, at least in details like sleeves,
                      > necklines,
                      > that sort of thing.

                      I think you have a good point here. You mention that clothing in a
                      certain time period seems to change "by decade." You know this
                      *because* you have studied the period, the clothing, the times before
                      and after, etc. in detail, and you have deduced that in *this*
                      particular case, *this* category of things (necklines, sleeves, etc.)
                      doesn't change that fast.

                      The more you know, the more plausible your educated guesses are going
                      to be.

                      Of course, ultimately how far you decide you want to stretch your
                      educated guesses is always going to be up to you. What I think is
                      important is that you *know* when you are extrapolating on the basis
                      of not enough information, and not kid yourself that your guesses are
                      on solid ground when they aren't.

                      I tend to agree with Capt. Elias -- I try to first study the
                      information to find out what people actually DID do, and then decide
                      what I want to do based on that. So far, that's always given me
                      plenty of ideas for projects I think are really cool.

                    • Marianne Perdomo
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                        2009/7/9 Chris Laning wrote:

                        > I think you have a good point here. You mention that clothing in a
                        > certain time period seems to change "by decade."

                        Actually, they do. It's very annoying! That's for 15th c. but I think it's
                        pretty similar for 14th... Before then it's probably manageable.
                        My impression from my looking around at late 16th and early 17th century
                        clothing is that it does change fairly quickly, too.

                        That said I think I am going to go ahead and make myself a dress from 10-20
                        years back, because I want something from that period. And I figured it
                        could be an old dress of my persona... But when I do wear anything
                        significantly older, or further in the future, I do so knowing that my
                        persona wouldn't have done so. Just like I don't dress like my grandmother
                        (with a retro touch, maybe, but not quite like her). I just either ignore
                        the fact or think I'm just "different" on that day. Again, this is late
                        middle ages... not sure if actually makes a difference before 1250-1300.
                        A piece of jewellery I think would be different, too, but I don't know
                        whether it's because I don't know enough of its evolution, or if it really
                        was more estable, as I suppose (hints from jewelry fans/experts welcome
                        here!).

                        > You know this
                        > *because* you have studied the period, the clothing, the times before
                        > and after, etc. in detail,

                        Exactly. I also find that sometimes you're paying attention to general dress
                        shape but you don't pay so much attention to say... neckline, or sleeve
                        width.
                        I also avoid special one-offs (things which are odd and only appear in one
                        or a very few examples).

                        > The more you know, the more plausible your educated guesses are going
                        > to be.

                        Yes, ultimately, as you say it's a line you have to draw yourself, about how
                        comfortable you are with what you've found out and what you can do. To me
                        it's all about coming closer and closer :) (within economic restraints!)

                        I tend to agree with Capt. Elias -- I try to first study the
                        > information to find out what people actually DID do, and then decide
                        > what I want to do based on that. So far, that's always given me
                        > plenty of ideas for projects I think are really cool.

                        Are you talking of extant examples? I wish I could do that! :)

                        Cheers!

                        Leonor