Re: wriggle room

  • neeveofredriver
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 7, 2009
      Thank you Leonor,
      Your answer captured the spirit of my question best. Although I am glad to have found out more about the cut-off debate. I suppose there is room to debate the end of our period because the oath taken is to 'attempt' preseventeenth century representation and sometimes borderline/fuzzy documentation is the best you can get.

      Also, I think personality has an influence on each of us and our choices of clothing, household items, etc. For myself, in my mundane life, I have eclectic tastes. I love vintage clothing as well as fresher styles. I think of myself as both ahead of my time in some ways and quite retro in others (not to mention my weekend time-travels to centuries past). This sensibility will undoubtedly carry over into the expression of my persona as well. As I mentioned in my introduction a few weeks ago, I'm an 11th century Irish woman near but not in Dublin. I might choose to don a gown just like Grandmother's because I like it. And the next day wear a chic dress I bought in port, the very cutting edge of trade-route fashion! Or perhaps combine old cuts with new cloths. Who's to say "that just wasn't done"?

      We can know by historical records and archeological finds what did exist but we can we be absolutely certain about what movers and shakers did NOT experiment with (including failures) given the general technologies and materials available to them at the time?

      So, good Gentles, what say you? How do each of you go about determining the document-ablity of your own persona, garb, artifacts and all?

      Enjoying the Creativity of our Anachronism and piecing the puzzle together with you all,
      Truly,
      Nem Aibhann Rua
      [Carrie Thomas]
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 7, 2009
        On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM,
        neeveofredriver<neeveofredriver@...> wrote:

        > So, good Gentles, what say you? How do each of you go about determining the
        > document-ablity of your own persona, garb, artifacts and all?

        Lots and lots of reading. And museum-going. And image viewing.

        I start with trying to get a picture of the timeframe I'm going for,
        and study in order to better understand what it should look like.

        After that, I look primarily for evidence of things during that
        timeframe, though I may also look earlier.

        I generally avoid looking later unless there is a source that is
        describing earlier information, or something that shows a trend.

        For example, if I find fabric X with pattern Y before my timeframe
        (but not during), but can also see that it has survived to after my
        timeframe, then I can use the two points to make a reasonable
        assumption that the pattern continued to exist in the timeframe I'm
        interested in, barring information that would contradict this (such as
        a sumptuary law specifically prohibiting it). Likewise, if I see X
        garment, but the only construction information is post the period in
        question, I won't hesitate to use the later information to make the
        earlier garment.

        For food I often look at post-cutoff sources, but I analyze them
        critically based on earlier evidence. If you find a 1640 recipe for a
        food that is mentioned (but not otherwise described) in 1590, then
        would it not be reasonable to assume that they are the same, barring
        contrary evidence?

        So I guess what all this means is that I believe post-cutoff sources
        can be used, provided you've first done your homework regarding your
        primary time period to be able to understand whether something is
        plausible. You cannot just arbitrarily make that decision, though,
        and you can in no wise determine that X number of years after a
        particular date means it is appropriate. A 1601 painting could be
        showing clothing that just came into fashion the summer of 1601, for
        all you know, unless you've done your research.

        -E. Godric Logan
      • Cynthia J Ley
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 7, 2009
          On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:03:35 -0700 Janis James <seja02@...>
          writes:

          > Researching time for items has always been interesting but often
          > not conclusive. For example: needlework, if we know a particular
          > type was done in (x) century, we should also know that it likely
          > didn't spring into use instantly, but was used and developed over
          > time and place. We don't have the extant examples to show this
          > so we can only surmise and use conjecture as to when it started.

          Hi all. Sorry about the earlier top post--one of my e-mail servers seems
          to have more problems with interjecture then the other.

          > Of course we do have a few examples - like when blackwork was
          > brought to England from Spain. However, we can't be absolutely
          > certain how and when it actually started in Spain. We just know
          > when it flourished in Spain.

          And even the first statement is not entirely correct. It's reasonably
          fair to say that someone famous made it popular (Catharine of Aragon),
          but we don't really know how far back its roots go, and it seems to have
          at least some foundation in the non-representational arts of the Moors.
          All this by way of emphasizing what Sine said. :-) A lot of times all we
          have are pieces of the puzzle, and a lot of times pieces are missing.
          Enter Ye Educated Guess.

          > In all the research I've worked on over the years I have forced
          > myself to allow a little given time at either end of the generally
          > accepted time-frame to allow for this. I suspect this is true of
          > many things through time other than just needlework. It would
          > be nice of course if we could be absolutely certain such as with
          > actual dated inventions, so I generally accept "wriggle room" unless
          > it can be proven to a set date.

          And even then, there are usually antecedents in one form or another.

          Arlys

          > Cheers, Sine

          You're never too old to date. Senior Dating. Click Here.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTQbQWKw2XfL3YDIqUaNc6a8msZ4R5inJXCRhxe8ZuP8k232gYrOjm/
        • Jeff gedney
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 7, 2009
            Well, the thing is, If you can legitimately show that it is likely that a
            item from out of period is logically consistent with being in period, then
            you can "work the fuzzy"...
            For example if you have name reference that is a church record of a burial
            of a 44 year old in 1625, then it is logical to assume that the name was
            given in period...
            (but this is not reliable, names elide and change their usage, a name given
            at birth may change to a more modern form just by vernacular usage and the
            spelling standardization that widely took place in early modern England in
            late 16th- early 17th century.

            For my money,
            if you are making the claim that a characteristically 17th century clothing
            (like a buffecoat) is "an attempt" at PRE-seventeenth century, and
            you can't document that it is preseventeenth, you fail that standard.
            I don't care how cool you think you look in it.

            > We can know by historical records and archeological finds what did
            > exist but we can we be absolutely certain about what movers and shakers
            > did NOT experiment with (including failures) given the general
            > technologies and materials available to them at the time?

            Its functionally impossible to prove that they did NOT experiment with
            clothes and such....
            For that matter it is also impossible to prove that some genius was not
            experimenting with nuclear fission, or automotive vehicles, or antigravity.

            So as far as I am able to judge, the line has to be what we can prove that
            they DID do, not what they Might have done.

            > So, good Gentles, what say you? How do each of you go about
            > determining the document-ablity of your own persona, garb, artifacts
            > and all?

            I research, use good sources, juried, where possible, with clear
            documentation that I can trace back to originals.
            I take period iconography with a grain of salt, and prefer to have that
            backed up with textual or better yet artefactual survivals...

            THEN I decide what I am going to make.
            I don't decide what I want and then try to "justify" it to period.
            That way leads to bad scholarship.

            Capt Elias
          • bronwynmgn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
              In a message dated 7/7/2009 5:51:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              marianne@... writes:

              <<Am I the only one who didn't think of the SCA cut-off date on reading
              this?

              I didn't in relation to myself, because my persona is firmly based in the
              12th century and the cut-off date is over 400 years in the future for me :-)
              I did think of the cut-off date on reading the inital post.

              <<I have certainly had this problem... I do many things just because I like
              them but I try to place most of my efforts on being Spanish from the 1470s,
              as a kind of personal challenge. Yet for many things I can't get info
              between say, 1450s and 1490s. >>

              There's not a lot of 12th century information, either. For clothing, we
              have a lot of statues and some illuminations that are more or less stylized,
              and a very few extant pieces such as coronation robes or ecclesiatical
              clothing.
              For cooking, there is one Anglo-Norman cookery collection that is close in
              time, but I'm not sure it's been published in it's entirety yet - I do have
              a photocopy of some of the recipes. Otherwise I'm limited to mostly 14th
              and 15th century sources, but I won't go further than that. I also tend to
              limit myself to Northern European sources. There's the Harpestrang cookery
              manuscript which is also 13th century, I think, and exists in several northern
              European versions (German, Norwegian I think, etc) but which is probably a
              copy of a more southerly-based text based on the ingredients used.

              Brangwayna Morgan
              Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
              Lancaster, PA
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:28:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                neeveofredriver@... writes:

                <<So, good Gentles, what say you? How do each of you go about determining
                the document-ablity of your own persona, garb, artifacts and all? >>

                For me, it's important that it be as close as I can get it to my time
                period and country, and I like to have at least one solid point of data for what
                I'm doing. There aren't really many for cooking, so I have to go further
                afield for solid data points. For clothing, I have lots of data points, but
                not many that give me a lot of detail on construction, so I need to work with
                interpretations on those, and decide which interpretations I think are
                accurate.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                  In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:51:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  tatsushu@... writes:

                  <<For food I often look at post-cutoff sources, but I analyze them
                  critically based on earlier evidence. If you find a 1640 recipe for a
                  food that is mentioned (but not otherwise described) in 1590, then
                  would it not be reasonable to assume that they are the same, barring
                  contrary evidence?>>

                  Similar yes, but quite possibly not the same. After all, we have lots of
                  contemporary manuscripts which list a recipe of the same name in each, but
                  the recipes themselves can be anything from slight variations of each other to
                  completely different. We also have evidence that a dish can be listed by
                  the same name in an earlier and a later source and have evolved significantly
                  in between. So assuming that a dish named Bukenade in one source and a
                  dish named Bukenade in another source are the same dish is a faulty premise.
                  It may be the closest you can get, but you shouldn't fool yourself that the
                  person who referred to it 50 years earlier means exactly what the person who
                  wrote it down did.

                  Not to mention the fact that some period recipes are so vague that it's
                  very possible to make entirely different dishes from the same recipe in the
                  same source. Bukenade's a good example; one recipe I have for it basically
                  says to take good meat, whatever you have, boil it with beef, and add onions
                  and spices. I've done chicken and beef, lamb and beef, and pork and beef, and
                  a variety of different spice comibinations depending on what is usually
                  used with the "other" meat I've chosen, so each result has been quite different
                  from the others.

                  Brangwayna Morgan
                  Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                  Lancaster, PA
                • Heather Rose Jones
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                    On Jul 8, 2009, at 4:11 AM, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:51:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > tatsushu@... writes:
                    >
                    > <<For food I often look at post-cutoff sources, but I analyze them
                    > critically based on earlier evidence. If you find a 1640 recipe for a
                    > food that is mentioned (but not otherwise described) in 1590, then
                    > would it not be reasonable to assume that they are the same, barring
                    > contrary evidence?>>
                    >
                    > Similar yes, but quite possibly not the same. After all, we have
                    > lots of
                    > contemporary manuscripts which list a recipe of the same name in
                    > each, but
                    > the recipes themselves can be anything from slight variations of
                    > each other to
                    > completely different. We also have evidence that a dish can be
                    > listed by
                    > the same name in an earlier and a later source and have evolved
                    > significantly
                    > in between. So assuming that a dish named Bukenade in one source
                    > and a
                    > dish named Bukenade in another source are the same dish is a faulty
                    > premise.

                    My favorite example of this problem is how to interpret the Welsh
                    clothing term "pais". The word shows up as a description of a specific
                    garment continuously from the earliest written sources (the Book of
                    Aneurin) to the present day. But the specific nature of the garment
                    being referred to changes enormously over that time. Even if you had a
                    picture of a garment in century X with an arrow pointing to it saying
                    "this is a 'pais'", that wouldn't tell you what the word referred to
                    in century X-1 or X+1.

                    Tangwystyl
                  • JL Badgley
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                      On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Heather Rose
                      Jones<heather.jones@...> wrote:

                      > On Jul 8, 2009, at 4:11 AM, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                      >
                      >> In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:51:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      >> tatsushu@... writes:
                      >>
                      >> <<For food I often look at post-cutoff sources, but I analyze them
                      >> critically based on earlier evidence. If you find a 1640 recipe for a
                      >> food that is mentioned (but not otherwise described) in 1590, then
                      >> would it not be reasonable to assume that they are the same, barring
                      >> contrary evidence?>>
                      >>
                      >> Similar yes, but quite possibly not the same. After all, we have
                      >> lots of
                      >> contemporary manuscripts which list a recipe of the same name in
                      >> each, but
                      >> the recipes themselves can be anything from slight variations of
                      >> each other to
                      >> completely different. We also have evidence that a dish can be
                      >> listed by
                      >> the same name in an earlier and a later source and have evolved
                      >> significantly
                      >> in between. So assuming that a dish named Bukenade in one source
                      >> and a
                      >> dish named Bukenade in another source are the same dish is a faulty
                      >> premise.
                      >>

                      > My favorite example of this problem is how to interpret the Welsh
                      > clothing term "pais". The word shows up as a description of a specific
                      > garment continuously from the earliest written sources (the Book of
                      > Aneurin) to the present day. But the specific nature of the garment
                      > being referred to changes enormously over that time. Even if you had a
                      > picture of a garment in century X with an arrow pointing to it saying
                      > "this is a 'pais'", that wouldn't tell you what the word referred to
                      > in century X-1 or X+1.

                      All true, but then again, this is where we get into the "reasonable
                      attempt"--we get as close as we can justify to the truth of the
                      matter, and don't ever try to adjudicate things in a vacuum.

                      -E. G. Logan
                    • Chris Laning
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                        On Jul 7, 2009, at 2:50 PM, Marianne Perdomo wrote:

                        > I have certainly had this problem... I do many things just because
                        > I like
                        > them but I try to place most of my efforts on being Spanish from
                        > the 1470s,
                        > as a kind of personal challenge. Yet for many things I can't get info
                        > between say, 1450s and 1490s. Certainly there seems to be less useful
                        > paintings available from the 1470s. So I often try to at least
                        > determine if
                        > something was done before and after - in that case I'm quite happy
                        > to assume
                        > it didn't cease to be done in between. That's mostly for clothing
                        > which
                        > changes by decade, it seems, at least in details like sleeves,
                        > necklines,
                        > that sort of thing.

                        I think you have a good point here. You mention that clothing in a
                        certain time period seems to change "by decade." You know this
                        *because* you have studied the period, the clothing, the times before
                        and after, etc. in detail, and you have deduced that in *this*
                        particular case, *this* category of things (necklines, sleeves, etc.)
                        doesn't change that fast.

                        The more you know, the more plausible your educated guesses are going
                        to be.

                        Of course, ultimately how far you decide you want to stretch your
                        educated guesses is always going to be up to you. What I think is
                        important is that you *know* when you are extrapolating on the basis
                        of not enough information, and not kid yourself that your guesses are
                        on solid ground when they aren't.

                        I tend to agree with Capt. Elias -- I try to first study the
                        information to find out what people actually DID do, and then decide
                        what I want to do based on that. So far, that's always given me
                        plenty of ideas for projects I think are really cool.

                      • Marianne Perdomo
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                          2009/7/9 Chris Laning wrote:

                          > I think you have a good point here. You mention that clothing in a
                          > certain time period seems to change "by decade."

                          Actually, they do. It's very annoying! That's for 15th c. but I think it's
                          pretty similar for 14th... Before then it's probably manageable.
                          My impression from my looking around at late 16th and early 17th century
                          clothing is that it does change fairly quickly, too.

                          That said I think I am going to go ahead and make myself a dress from 10-20
                          years back, because I want something from that period. And I figured it
                          could be an old dress of my persona... But when I do wear anything
                          significantly older, or further in the future, I do so knowing that my
                          persona wouldn't have done so. Just like I don't dress like my grandmother
                          (with a retro touch, maybe, but not quite like her). I just either ignore
                          the fact or think I'm just "different" on that day. Again, this is late
                          middle ages... not sure if actually makes a difference before 1250-1300.
                          A piece of jewellery I think would be different, too, but I don't know
                          whether it's because I don't know enough of its evolution, or if it really
                          was more estable, as I suppose (hints from jewelry fans/experts welcome
                          here!).

                          > You know this
                          > *because* you have studied the period, the clothing, the times before
                          > and after, etc. in detail,

                          Exactly. I also find that sometimes you're paying attention to general dress
                          shape but you don't pay so much attention to say... neckline, or sleeve
                          width.
                          I also avoid special one-offs (things which are odd and only appear in one
                          or a very few examples).

                          > The more you know, the more plausible your educated guesses are going
                          > to be.

                          Yes, ultimately, as you say it's a line you have to draw yourself, about how
                          comfortable you are with what you've found out and what you can do. To me
                          it's all about coming closer and closer :) (within economic restraints!)

                          I tend to agree with Capt. Elias -- I try to first study the
                          > information to find out what people actually DID do, and then decide
                          > what I want to do based on that. So far, that's always given me
                          > plenty of ideas for projects I think are really cool.

                          Are you talking of extant examples? I wish I could do that! :)

                          Cheers!

                          Leonor