Re: Looking for other examples

  • pixel39
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 7, 2009
      > > My question is:would the fabric have been painted? Embroidered?

      Embroidered.

      According to the book "Renaissance Clothing and the Materials of Memory (Ann Rosalind Jones and Peter Stallybrass, Cambridge University Press, 2001, ISBN-10: 0521786630, ISBN-13: 978-0521786638), these were inventoried in 1617 as "Bullen hose of Scarlett and blew velvett the panes of Scarlett laced all over with watchett silk silver and gold lace and the puffs of blew velvett embroadered all over with sonnes Moones and starres of gold"

      Ah, if it weren't so totally out of my period I'd have to own that book. *sigh*

      Margaret FitzWilliam
    • CLEY
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 7, 2009
        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to those members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you do not top post. Please trim portions of previous posts that do not require repetition. Thank you.
        Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

        (REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED)

        Ooooooooo!!! Now THAT's a SOURCE!! :-D

        What's watchett silk?

        Arlys,
        missing it entirely by about 300 years ;-)
      • Chris Laning
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 7, 2009
          On Jul 7, 2009, at 3:02 PM, CLEY wrote:
          > Ooooooooo!!! Now THAT's a SOURCE!! :-D
          >
          > What's watchett silk?

          "Watchett" is a color -- IIRC, sort of a light teal (greenish blue)
          in modern terms.

        • Kathryn Ballard
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 15, 2009
            http://www.taoswoolfestival.org/index.html

            In case anyone is interested in any of the workshops or the festival in
            total

            Kathryn