Re: Looking for other examples

  • elara_drake
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 6, 2009
      -**with due respect, my lady, many Scadians extend the period out to 1650, to allow for some of the more flamboyant clothing in both male and female late period.
      I feel that if a gentleman can find this fabric and pose for it within that timeframe, then a lady like myself should be equally able to obtain some. Perhaps as a forepart, perhaps for the dress itself. I intend to make it, regardless, but would like to have more than the one portrait if possible, showing the possibility of such kinds of fabric. If you have any substantial or reasonably possible suggestions - either in imagry or description - I would very much like to see them. Thanks in advance for your help.

      White Raven - Costumer of all periods, early, late, post-sca, and pure fantasy.
    • CLEY
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6, 2009
        > Almost certainly embroidered.
        > --
        > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

        Reasoning, please?

        We know that at least one of Elizabeth's gowns was painted--why could
        this not be also?

        I wish I could bring it up to full page size for analysis of the panels.

        Any guesses on the ground fabric?

        Arlys
      • Jane Stockton
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6, 2009
          >Hi All,

          Does anyone know where I can purchase online handmade hooks and eyes
          for clothing?

          Cheers,
          Jane

          ------------------------------------
          Jane Stockton - jane_stockton@...
          Barony of Mordenvale, Kingdom of Lochac

          Stocktons Historical Embroidery - http://stocktons.webcon.net.au/ (shop)
          In Prayse of the Needle - http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/ (personal website)
          Historical Needlework Resources - http://medieval.webcon.net.au/
          (resource website)
          The Needles' Excellency - http://laren.blogspot.com/ (blog)
        • Susan Meitzler
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 6, 2009
            OK I do know Historic Enterprises makes them but also my Mistress does
            make them too (or she has someone else make them for her) and here is
            the link to her business and her hooks
            https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?s=&c=111&d=181&e=&f=&g=&p=457&w=21
            a great place for al; your historical needs.
            YIS,
            Lady Magdalena auf KDT
            assistant #1 for Kass McGann

            On Jul 6, 2009, at 9:36 PM, Jane Stockton wrote:

            > >Hi All,
            >
            > Does anyone know where I can purchase online handmade hooks and eyes
            > for clothing?
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Jane
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            > Jane Stockton - jane_stockton@...
            > Barony of Mordenvale, Kingdom of Lochac
            >
            > Stocktons Historical Embroidery - http://stocktons.webcon.net.au/
            > (shop)
            > In Prayse of the Needle - http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/
            > (personal website)
            > Historical Needlework Resources - http://medieval.webcon.net.au/
            > (resource website)
            > The Needles' Excellency - http://laren.blogspot.com/ (blog)

          • pixel39
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 7, 2009
              > > My question is:would the fabric have been painted? Embroidered?

              Embroidered.

              According to the book "Renaissance Clothing and the Materials of Memory (Ann Rosalind Jones and Peter Stallybrass, Cambridge University Press, 2001, ISBN-10: 0521786630, ISBN-13: 978-0521786638), these were inventoried in 1617 as "Bullen hose of Scarlett and blew velvett the panes of Scarlett laced all over with watchett silk silver and gold lace and the puffs of blew velvett embroadered all over with sonnes Moones and starres of gold"

              Ah, if it weren't so totally out of my period I'd have to own that book. *sigh*

              Margaret FitzWilliam
            • CLEY
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 7, 2009
                MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to those members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you do not top post. Please trim portions of previous posts that do not require repetition. Thank you.
                Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                (REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED)

                Ooooooooo!!! Now THAT's a SOURCE!! :-D

                What's watchett silk?

                Arlys,
                missing it entirely by about 300 years ;-)
              • Chris Laning
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 7, 2009
                  On Jul 7, 2009, at 3:02 PM, CLEY wrote:
                  > Ooooooooo!!! Now THAT's a SOURCE!! :-D
                  >
                  > What's watchett silk?

                  "Watchett" is a color -- IIRC, sort of a light teal (greenish blue)
                  in modern terms.

                • Kathryn Ballard
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 15, 2009
                    http://www.taoswoolfestival.org/index.html

                    In case anyone is interested in any of the workshops or the festival in
                    total

                    Kathryn