herald's tabards

  • Marianne Perdomo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
      Hello!

      I have been able to find many examples of heralds' tabards, including real
      medieval extant ones :) But... none from before the 15th century. Does
      anyone have any clue as to what heralds would have worn, say, in the 13th
      century? I can see plenty of heraldic surcoats but my impression is that
      it's the knights themselves wearing their own heraldry, rather than their
      heralds.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks!!

      Leonor

    • kittencat3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
        There is a picture of a very early heraldic tabard in Ottfried Neubecker's
        Heraldry: Symbols, Sources, and Meaning. I believe the actual tabard is
        in the Kunsthistoriches Museum in Vienna.

        Sarah Davies
        **************Summer concert season is here! Find your favorite artists on
        tour at TourTracker.com.
        (http://www.tourtracker.com/?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000006)

      • Marianne Perdomo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
          2009/7/7 <kittencat3@...>

          > There is a picture of a very early heraldic tabard in Ottfried Neubecker's
          > Heraldry: Symbols, Sources, and Meaning. I believe the actual tabard is
          > in the Kunsthistoriches Museum in Vienna.
          >
          > Sarah Davies

          Sounds ideal... could it be part of the coronation robes?
          If it's not that, then any chance someone could describe it to me, or send
          me an image or something? I don't have that book, alas, and neither ILL nor
          importing it are options at the moment. :(

          Thanks!

          Leonor / Marianne

        • kittencat3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
            It's not a coronation robe. It's a tabard for one of the Hapsburg
            possessions. Unfortunately, I don't have my copy in front of me - have you tried
            Worldcat.org to find a copy?

            Sarah

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
              2009/7/7 <kittencat3@...>

              > It's not a coronation robe. It's a tabard for one of the Hapsburg
              > possessions. Unfortunately, I don't have my copy in front of me - have you
              > tried
              > Worldcat.org to find a copy?

              It says none are available in Spain, which is where I live. :(

              To be honest, I never bothered to check before, because the likelihood of a
              spanish library I can get to having a relatively obscure book in a foreign
              language (English) is well... rather small... :(

              Cheers!

              Leonor