Re: [Authentic_SCA] Looking for other examples

  • CLEY
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 6 7:21 AM
      It looks remarkably similar to a fabric that is commercially available!

      My question is:would the fabric have been painted? Embroidered?

      Arlys
    • elara_drake
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6 10:26 AM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, CLEY <cley56@...> wrote:

        > It looks remarkably similar to a fabric that is commercially available!
        >
        >**Exactly - several modern fabrics, actually. Which is why I'm looking for other examples or sources, to support it's use. Thanks for any help you can provide!

        WhiteRaven
      • Antonia Calvo
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6 11:47 AM
          CLEY wrote:
          > It looks remarkably similar to a fabric that is commercially available!
          >
          > My question is:would the fabric have been painted? Embroidered?

          Almost certainly embroidered.

          --
          Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

          -----------------------------
          Habeo metrum - musicamque,
          hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
          -Georgeus Gershwinus
          -----------------------------
        • Britt
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 6 12:25 PM
            Am I the only one who is iffy on the use of said fabric? The only example you have of it is POST period and just what are you planning to document using it for wihtin the SCA. Sorry to be a downer just had to throw this out there. I know you are looking for other examples of it but how bout examples of it used before 1600? Because if you are a man of means you would not be wearing a 17 year old garment for posing for a painting so you know the fabric was very new at the time of posing.
            Lady Magdalena auf KDT

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "elara_drake" <whiteraven89@...> wrote:

            > Good day! Could anyone tell me if they know of any other examples showing the wonderful celestial fabric seen on the paned slops of the Earl of Dorset? I've been unable to find further examples or documentation, and I'd really really like to. Here's a link to the image. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oliver_Richard_Sackville_Earl_of_Dorset_1616.jpg
            >
            > Thanks in advance for any help!
            >
            > Respectfully,
            >
            > WhiteRaven

          • Colleen Vince
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 6 12:42 PM
              There are lot of people that commonly agree the cut off is 1650. I know what
              corpa says, but it is highly and permantley engraved in peoples minds in
              some kingdoms. Anyone who acuratley wants to make something from 1616 is
              alright in my book.

              --
              Mary Ostler
              Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke

            • elara_drake
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 6 2:24 PM
                -**with due respect, my lady, many Scadians extend the period out to 1650, to allow for some of the more flamboyant clothing in both male and female late period.
                I feel that if a gentleman can find this fabric and pose for it within that timeframe, then a lady like myself should be equally able to obtain some. Perhaps as a forepart, perhaps for the dress itself. I intend to make it, regardless, but would like to have more than the one portrait if possible, showing the possibility of such kinds of fabric. If you have any substantial or reasonably possible suggestions - either in imagry or description - I would very much like to see them. Thanks in advance for your help.

                White Raven - Costumer of all periods, early, late, post-sca, and pure fantasy.
              • CLEY
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 6 2:52 PM
                  > Almost certainly embroidered.
                  > --
                  > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                  Reasoning, please?

                  We know that at least one of Elizabeth's gowns was painted--why could
                  this not be also?

                  I wish I could bring it up to full page size for analysis of the panels.

                  Any guesses on the ground fabric?

                  Arlys
                • CLEY
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 6 2:57 PM
                    Sorry about the top post.

                    But yeah, mine too. Although I tend to look at things through the eyes
                    of musical eras. ;-)

                    Regarding timelining garments, as someone suggested: things which were
                    "the best" of tended to be passed down through families, so having a
                    multigenerational piece is not so strange an idea....

                    Arlys
                  • Jane Stockton
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 6 6:36 PM
                      >Hi All,

                      Does anyone know where I can purchase online handmade hooks and eyes
                      for clothing?

                      Cheers,
                      Jane

                      ------------------------------------
                      Jane Stockton - jane_stockton@...
                      Barony of Mordenvale, Kingdom of Lochac

                      Stocktons Historical Embroidery - http://stocktons.webcon.net.au/ (shop)
                      In Prayse of the Needle - http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/ (personal website)
                      Historical Needlework Resources - http://medieval.webcon.net.au/
                      (resource website)
                      The Needles' Excellency - http://laren.blogspot.com/ (blog)
                    • Susan Meitzler
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 6 8:10 PM
                        OK I do know Historic Enterprises makes them but also my Mistress does
                        make them too (or she has someone else make them for her) and here is
                        the link to her business and her hooks
                        https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?s=&c=111&d=181&e=&f=&g=&p=457&w=21
                        a great place for al; your historical needs.
                        YIS,
                        Lady Magdalena auf KDT
                        assistant #1 for Kass McGann

                        On Jul 6, 2009, at 9:36 PM, Jane Stockton wrote:

                        > >Hi All,
                        >
                        > Does anyone know where I can purchase online handmade hooks and eyes
                        > for clothing?
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Jane
                        >
                        > ------------------------------------
                        > Jane Stockton - jane_stockton@...
                        > Barony of Mordenvale, Kingdom of Lochac
                        >
                        > Stocktons Historical Embroidery - http://stocktons.webcon.net.au/
                        > (shop)
                        > In Prayse of the Needle - http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/
                        > (personal website)
                        > Historical Needlework Resources - http://medieval.webcon.net.au/
                        > (resource website)
                        > The Needles' Excellency - http://laren.blogspot.com/ (blog)

                      • pixel39
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 7 12:33 PM
                          > > My question is:would the fabric have been painted? Embroidered?

                          Embroidered.

                          According to the book "Renaissance Clothing and the Materials of Memory (Ann Rosalind Jones and Peter Stallybrass, Cambridge University Press, 2001, ISBN-10: 0521786630, ISBN-13: 978-0521786638), these were inventoried in 1617 as "Bullen hose of Scarlett and blew velvett the panes of Scarlett laced all over with watchett silk silver and gold lace and the puffs of blew velvett embroadered all over with sonnes Moones and starres of gold"

                          Ah, if it weren't so totally out of my period I'd have to own that book. *sigh*

                          Margaret FitzWilliam
                        • CLEY
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 7 3:02 PM
                            MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to those members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you do not top post. Please trim portions of previous posts that do not require repetition. Thank you.
                            Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                            (REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED)

                            Ooooooooo!!! Now THAT's a SOURCE!! :-D

                            What's watchett silk?

                            Arlys,
                            missing it entirely by about 300 years ;-)
                          • Chris Laning
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 7 6:15 PM
                              On Jul 7, 2009, at 3:02 PM, CLEY wrote:
                              > Ooooooooo!!! Now THAT's a SOURCE!! :-D
                              >
                              > What's watchett silk?

                              "Watchett" is a color -- IIRC, sort of a light teal (greenish blue)
                              in modern terms.

                            • Kathryn Ballard
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 15 12:17 PM
                                http://www.taoswoolfestival.org/index.html

                                In case anyone is interested in any of the workshops or the festival in
                                total

                                Kathryn