Introduction and Byzantine questions

  • Jess Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2009
      *Hello everyone, My name is Jessica and I hail from the SCA Kingdom of
      Northshield. I have been involved in the SCA for five or so years, though
      have not been able to make it to a great many events due to mundane
      reasons. As such, I still feel like a newbie in some ways, though I am very
      interested in expanding my knowledge of historical time periods and
      increasing my authenticity.*
      **
      *I have been thinking that I would like to choose a Byzantine persona
      (though I do not yet have a specific time within the period of the Byzantine
      Empire narrowed down) and would appreciate any advice/assistance from anyone
      with knowledge of this area/time.*
      **
      *At the moment I am particularly interested in making some garb. I have
      seen some mosaics from the time period and am awed by the detail and luxury
      that the Byzantine nobility put into their garments, but I would really like
      to see examples that have been made by those knowledgeable in Byzantine
      dress and/or diagrams. I have found descriptions online of the various
      garments, but I don't feel confident trying to create something from these
      descriptions alone. *
      **
      *I welcome your comments and am happy to find such a group,*
      *-Jess*

    • Catherine Olanich Raymond
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2009
        You may wish to consider taking a look at these websites; one deals with Early
        Byzantine while the other deals with Middle Byzantine:

        http://www.srclink.net/users/Meghan_Elphinstone/

        http://www.levantia.com.au/

        Also, be aware that there is an SCAByzantine list with some very knowledgeable
        people participating in it.

        --
        Cathy Raymond <cathy@...>

        "Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which
        we can perform without thinking about them."
        -- Alfred North Whitehead, "An Introduction to Mathematics"

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2009
          Recently Jess asked:
          <<< I have been thinking that I would like to choose a Byzantine persona
          (though I do not yet have a specific time within the period of the
          Byzantine
          Empire narrowed down) and would appreciate any advice/assistance from
          anyone
          with knowledge of this area/time.>>>

          Perhaps some of the files I have in the Florilegium might be of use to
          you.

          In the CLOTHING section:
          cl-Byzantine-msg (19K) 6/28/02 Clothing of Bynzantine.

          In the CULTURES section:
          Byzant-Cerem-art (8K) 11/21/05 "Byzantine Ceremony" by Baron Hrolf
          Herjolfssen.
          Byzantine-msg (31K) 5/ 7/01 Byzantine culture, clothing,
          commerce.

          In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
          fd-Byzantine-msg (38K) 3/16/08 Food of medieval Byzantine.
          References.

          Stefan
          --------
        • Lorine Horvath
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
            On 28 June 2009 02:46, Jess Adams <nanakago@...> wrote:

            > *Hello everyone, My name is Jessica and I hail from the SCA Kingdom of
            > Northshield. I have been involved in the SCA for five or so years, though
            > have not been able to make it to a great many events due to mundane
            > reasons. As such, I still feel like a newbie in some ways, though I am very
            > interested in expanding my knowledge of historical time periods and
            > increasing my authenticity.*
            > *

            Where are you in NS? There are several clumps of folks who do Byzantine
            here... Maybe we can help too?

            Fina
            --
            All power corrupts, but we need the electricity.
            - Unknown